Amazon Kindle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Amazon just made a bold move and released a new version of their e-reader at a much lower price point. The new Kindle can be purchased for $139 down from the newest price of their previous model which had just been lowered to $189. The only difference between the two models is that the $139 version will have wifi access only while the $189 will have wifi and 3G.

As a Kindle owner I can say this is very exciting news for those that love to read. Owning a Kindle has revolutionized the way I read. The only downside I have found is that I spend much more money on books now (even though most are between $4 - $10 and many are even free) than I ever did. It used to be that I would borrow a book from a friend and then when I was done I would take a break from reading while I waited for another friend to finish the next book that I was borrowing. The only time I would buy a book was when I wanted something right away. Well with the Kindle there is not an easy way to share (unless you are on the same account) so that means purchasing everything. I no longer have a lag time between reading books though because as soon (or even before) I am done with one I can already have the next one waiting for me.

Many people say they like holding a book and like the smell of it and things like that. I know for some, they will never get past that and thus an e-reader will not be for them. For me, I love not having to deal with an actual book. The Kindle is so much easier to hold and handle. I can read a book with one hand and turn pages with one hand. I can read in the pool (I put it in a ziplock bag to protect from the water) and could do the same thing in the bath if I wanted. It is much lighter than most books too. The e-ink it uses is amazing. It looks almost exactly like book print. Reading in the sun is not an issue (as it is on an iPad). It actually makes it easier to read that way. Just like a book though, there is no back light so you would need an additional light source if reading at night in the dark.

If anyone has been considering getting one, now is a great time to jump on board. I am willing to bet you would not be sorry.

(And no I do not work for Amazon or get any money for pushing this product. I just love it and want to share with my friends.)

My wife bought me a Nook (Barnes & Noble ereader) for Father's Day. I was a bit skeptical at first, but when you are reading, you don't even think about holding a book versus an electronic device. Text is text.

I really like being able to always have a new book within a minute or so. I also REALLY like being able to download a sample of a book (1st 20 pages or so) before buying.

Shopping with it not so much. I will usually shop online to decide what I want, then purchase from the device. And of note, the B&N website is not structured as well as Amazon. Close but not quite.

I do wish these devices has a bit of backlighting, but I guess that really sucks the power.

Yeah being able to download a sample is awesome. You can read the beginning of the book to see if it is something you will like. I have about 30 samples on my Kindle right now for when I am ready to check out a new book. When I read through the "What are you reading now" thread here I get some great book suggestions so I always go right to Amazon and download the sample if it is available.

I wish they had an optional back light too. Sure it would suck down the battery, but it would only be used when needed so the user could choose to turn it on or off. For me, I would not need it frequently, but it would really come in handy those few times. What I do is I keep a small flashlight with a clip in the Kindle case I got. The light can clip onto the brim of my hat if I want so I do not have to hold it. It is not ideal, but it works in a reading emergency.

OK, I have to say that I am a "bookie" but I want a Kindle too. I tend to fall asleep reading and have woken up with a paperback on my face more than once so I suspect I might have Kindle shaped bruises for a short time.

That is a great price GB, I'm going to go look into it. Thanks! I think that would be a lot easier to travel with than the 6-8 books I have to carry on holidays.

LOVE the ziploc idea too.

It makes traveling so much easier Alix. It saves on packing space and you can bring as many books with you as you like. The new models also have improved battery life. The wifi only model claims to get 3 weeks on a charge and I can believe that. The only time you are using the battery is when the screen changes (turning pages) so it really does not use much power at all.

I wonder if I could take it to Cuba? They can be picky about stuff like that.

Whats the deal on airplanes? Do you have to shut it down when they tell everyone to turn off their electronic devices?

Yeah on planes you do have to shut it down until the pilot allows electronic devices. That does kind of stink. But that is when I switch to Skymall. By the time I have flipped through that I can read my Kindle again ;)

I wasn't sure about that. I could always bring my cooking mag for that part of the trip I guess. Magazines are small. ;)

My wife actually got one as a present for her birthday, and it's been a year, but is yet to use it. Some how she doesn't like it. Kids have been reading stuff.

Hey GB, how do you find free books for it?

Here you go Charlie. I just went to the Kindle store and ran an open search and sorted by least expensive.

Also, when you buy a book from the Kindle store on your computer after you buy it you are brought to a screen that shows other books you might like. There are always free ones there too.

We got Kindles when they first came out a few years back. In fact, we upgraded to Kindle 2s several months ago. That would figure that new models are out. I don't know how we lived without the Kindles--I recommend them to everyone! Before they were so common it tended to cause a bit of a hubbub at airport security--now it's never a problem, fortunately.

I have a Sony Reader, and I absolutely love it. It does not have Wi-Fi, which is a good thing for my budget. I do have to think before I can download!

I never thought about a ziplock--I love to read in the pool, and in the tub. And while I am cooking--a ziplock would be good for that, too.

I understand some libraries have e-books--but not here. Too bad, because I can't afford to buy all the books I can get for free at the library.

The only problem I have had is with maps in the book about Custer that I bought--no way to make them big enough to see. I am sure I can go on to the copy that is stored on the computer and look at the maps, but that is kind of a pain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom