Making canapes & petit fours sucks blue mud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captculinary

Assistant Cook
I had to make 350 canapes for a wedding reception last week. After about 30 min. I raised the board with a bus tub to reach a more comfortable position, but at the end of the day my back was a wreck...any suggestions to avoiding this? Besides a fist full of aspirin.

Thanks, Mike

I have a fractured back and am fairly tall. I have had similar experiences in my catering days. I got foam mat - you can either get the black ones for using with exercise equipment or coloured ones for putting on playroom floors. They lock together like puzzles or dove tail joints and take some of the pressure off your back and feet. I also have a 4 inch high block my DH made me that I keep on foot on (often alternating) at all times while doing tedious tasks and it works very well. I also have a raised island which is like your bus tub idea.

Hope this helps.

I like the raised island idea

Most production tables are 36", which puts the little tid bits about another 36" away. I also would like a 4" tall board. Those are little $$$ aren't they?

Besides lexans, bus tubs, and hotel pans, there's got to be a better was to elevate the food preparation surface.

CMC Daryll Shullar was using an adjustable height cutting board & frame in the national culinary trials in Chicago. I forgot the name of the thing. It was pretty cool. Have no idea what it costs. I tried to ask, but he was in the zone, and I couldn't stick around.

Mike

Mike

Attachments

• RollerbladingChef.jpg
    RollerbladingChef.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 348
  • rollerskate.jpg
    rollerskate.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 358
Thanks for the hot tip. But I wish to have the food closer, not elevate my height. Definitely trips to the walkin would be quicker though.

You have got a lively sense of humor chef, and a good repetoir of resources.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom