Need homemade Italian tomato sauce recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReKop

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new to this site as of today and was hoping that all of you wonderful people could help me out. I am dating a guy with a very traditional Italian background. His mother makes every meal they eat from scratch and so I'll never be fully accepted into this family until I can prove myself with a good sauce. I'm an Italian myself (from my mothers side) but she left when I was young so I never had anyone to teach me how to make authentic Italian meals. This being said, I don't have a homemade sauce and I have NO clue how to go about making one. And, for that matter, I need something that's going to stand up to his mom's (which in my opinion is rather bland and flavorless, but I'll NEVER tell them that ;)) Now I've led my boyfriend to believe that I have a sauce of my own...but I don't and so I need SERIOUS help.

Please...anyone.

Haven't tried this one but it is on my short list. Give it a shot and let us know how you do.... BTW welcome to DC.

Spaghetti and Meatballs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Gourmet
Yield: Makes 12 to 16 servings

Summary:

A heaping platter of spaghetti and meatballs evokes a feeling of comfort—perfect for a family get-together. The stars of this dish are the meatballs, of course, and they don't disappoint—lots of garlic and Parmigiano-Reggiano give them a robust flavor that stands up to the hearty tomato sauce.

Ingredients:

For tomato sauce:
6 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes in juice (preferably San Marzano)
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
For meatballs:
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 cups torn day-old Italian bread
3 cups whole milk
6 large eggs
2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/4 pound)
1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped oregano or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 lbs. ground veal
1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (not lean)
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
For pasta:
2 lbs. dried spaghetti
Accompaniment: grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Equipment: a 12-to 16-quart nonreactive heavy pot or 2 smaller nonreactive pots, a 6-to 8-quart pasta pot with a pasta/steamer insert for cooking spaghetti in 2 batches.

Directions:

Make sauce:
Drain tomatoes, reserving juice in a large bowl. Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to juice.

Cook onions in oil in pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, 4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Simmer sauce, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt.

Make meatballs while sauce simmers:
Cook onions in extra-virgin olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.

Soak bread in milk in another bowl until soft, about 5 minutes. Firmly squeeze bread to remove excess milk, discarding milk.

Stir together cooled onion mixture, bread, eggs, parmesan, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, 51/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper until combined. Add meats to bread mixture, gently mixing with your hands until just combined (do not overmix).

Form meat mixture into about 70 (1 1/2-inch) balls with dampened hands, arranging meatballs on 2 large baking sheets or in shallow baking pans.

Heat olive or vegetable oil (1 cup) in a 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown meatballs in 4 or 5 batches (without crowding), turning frequently, about 5 minutes per batch. Return to baking sheets.

Add meatballs to sauce and gently simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes. (If pot is not large enough, divide meatballs and sauce between 2 pots.)

Prepare pasta:
Cook spaghetti in 2 batches in pasta insert in boiling salted water (3 tablespoon salt for 6 qt water) until just al dente, draining and tossing each batch with some of sauce in a large serving dish.

Serve with meatballs, remaining sauce, and grated cheese.

Notes:

Cooks' notes: •Meatballs can be made and simmered in sauce 5 days ahead and chilled (covered once cool). •Meatballs with sauce can be frozen in an airtight container or heavy-duty sealable bags up to 3 months,

What kind of sauce are you looking for? If you google "Italian sauces", you will see
that there are many many different kinds!

I know, I've googled it a hundred times...the problem is, I don't know how to tell which ones are good and which ones aren't. I want something really authentic. Not spicy, not watery, but not REAL thick either.

Any guidance on how to cut the size down?

Basically, just simple division. I'd start with one-28 ounce can (divide by 6). After all, you don;t know if you'll like it. You don't want to make a huge batch and waste it.

Do you want a meat sauce, marinara sauce? Do you want meats in the sauce (meatballs and sausages, etc)? Do you want the sauce sweet or tart?

Here's a silly question. Wouldn't it have been easier to just admit that you didn't have anyone to teach you to cook and ask BF's Mom if she would teach you? You know the "I didn't have anyone to teach me but I'd be honored if you teach me to cook like you. I just love your recipes."

Here's a silly question. Wouldn't it have been easier to just admit that you didn't have anyone to teach you to cook and ask BF's Mom if she would teach you? You know the "I didn't have anyone to teach me but I'd be honored if you teach me to cook like you. I just love your recipes."

I know you'd like to have your own recipe, but this is a good idea because the only sauce your BF thinks is great will be Mom's. He may say he likes yours but...

Authentic.....

Saute 2 chopped garlic cloves with 1/2 chopped onion and 1 stalk celery, chopped.
Toss in a couple bay leaves, some oregano, marjoram, parsley, salt, pepper.
Simmer for a while in a bit of good beef stock and red wine.
When reduced a bit, add a can or two of crushed tomatoes, let simmer for an hour
or so.
Adjust seasonings to taste.

(Is this authentic? I dunno, but it is probably what Italian women did for centuries, or something similar. I don't like the word "authentic", because it doesn't have a lot of meaning in the cooking world anymore.)

You really need to decide WHAT you want to cook... there are different sauces for different dishes. Spaghetti and meatballs sauce will have a different taste than chicken cacciatorie......

So I'd recommend picking out a dish you want, then asking for a Tried and True (TNT) recipe here.
Don't pick the same thing that his mom makes, try something different... You don't want to go head-to-head with an Italian MOM!:)

Dave and Andy-It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to just admit it and ask her for help, but the problem is, is that I'm not a huge fan of her sauce. I think it needs more flavor so I set out on the journey to find something I prefer.

GrillingFool-That sounds delish. And finding something "different" was exactly why I didn't want to ask his mom for her recipe. I want a sauce of my own. And really I'm looking for a sauce I can use for everything from macaroni or stuffed peppers.

Dave and Andy-It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to just admit it and ask her for help, but the problem is, is that I'm not a huge fan of her sauce. I think it needs more flavor so I set out on the journey to find something I prefer.

So you learn hers, learn other meals, other tips and hits, and then over time tweek hers to suit your tastes. Then you WILL have a sauce that is your own.

ReKop said:
Now I've led my boyfriend to believe that I have a sauce of my own...but I don't and so I need SERIOUS help.
My Signature Tomato Sauce (meat is optional)
...so don't tell your boyfriend it's yours :LOL:

1 1/2 lb grnd meat sauteed with garlic/salt & pepper
(use combo1/2 sirloin/1/2 chuck) OR (combo beef/pork)
1 lb fresh mushrooms (baby bella or cremeni for deeper flavor)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil PLUS some for sauteeing meat & mushrooms
3 Cans (16oz each) Hunt's Tomato Sauce...MUST be Hunt's
1 Can (28oz) Hunt's Whole Tomatoes with juice
1 Can (6 oz) Hunt's Tomato Paste
3-4 fresh Garlic Cloves minced
1/4 C fresh Parsley leaves chopped
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp dried Basil (i use fresh when in season)
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1 generous tsp sugar - to cut the acidity of the tomatoes
2 Tblsp grated Parmesan cheese (added in last 10 minutes)

Simmer it all for at least two hours. Better the next day.
Serve with extra parmesan on the side (i use a combination
half parmesan and half romano-pecorinni which has awesome
flavor but salty so that's why I combine it with parmesan.

Last edited:
I make my own sauce and it can vary a little every time depending on what it is used for. But the basic start is to sauté some onions and garlic in a little olive oil, I then use a can of crushed tomatoes, you can use a can of whole tomatoes or some diced depending on what you have. Just make sure to crush the whole tomatoes up with the back of a spoon or potato masher. Then add tomato sauce as you need for volume. If you want it thicker add more tomatoes or some tomato paste but that gives it a sweeter tasting sauce at least in my opinion. My secret to sauce is that I throw in a pinch of red pepper flakes just to give it a little zing but not make it too hot. And I also pour in some Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce never measuring just a few shakes. Then add oregano, and basil to the sauce and simmer a little.

I know the worchestershire sauce and soy sauce might sound strange. But it is what I learned as a kid from a recipe that my Mom managed to get from a popular restaurant.

Drain tomatoes, reserving juice in a large bowl. Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to juice.
Yep, .40, this is truly Italian - getting those hands right in there - I use canned crushed tomatoes, but this is very authentic!

.40, you sure cook for large groups. 6-28 ounce cans of tomato makes a lot of sauce!
Most of my "recipes" are either for individual servings (to multiply for each order) or for groups of 50 to 100! That's why I use a computer program to do the calculating for me ;)

Yes, I agree, Dave, honesty is the best policy and, ReKop,you may build a better relationship with BF's Mom through it!

I have to agee with Andy and Dave. I got my M-i-l to come haere we went shoping and then when we got home I measured everythinkg she used because when she said a handful of something it would be different because her hand were much bigger than min. I can give you my recipe it is wonderful but to get the flavor you need to NOT sub ingredients. If you are interested let me know I'll be happy to give it to you.
kadesma

Tomato sauce is a very personal thing as everyone's preferences are different. I will give you the typical ingredients used in most tomato based pasta sauces.

A sauce Bolognese is a sauce containing meat, and refers to a type of sauce made famous by Bologna, Italy. The meat can be any of a variety of sausages, or can be simple ground beef.

Tomato Sauce Bolognese
Ingredients
*28 oz can Canned diced or crushed tomatoes
*12 oz can tomato sauce
*6 oz can tomato paste
*1 head fresh garlic, or granulated garlic powder
*1 medium onion, sliced or diced (depends on how chunky you want your sauce)
Dried Oregano
Dried Basil
Dried Rosemary
Dried Thyme
Bay Leaf
1 tbs. Brown Sugar
1 1/2 lb. Ground Beef

Other herbs that can be used include fennel, marjoram, and sage. I don't add these to my tomato sauce, but some people do. And as you can see, there are a number of people that simply use onion and garlic, or any combination of the above herbs. It's completely up to you. Oh, and one more thing, you can sweeten you sauce with grated carrot instead of brown sugar if you desire. It's up to you. Sweet Bell pepper is also very good in tomato sauce.

The reason I didn't give amounts for the spices is that I don't measure, but rather, add a bit, let it cook, and then correct the seasoning.

Sweat the onion in extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until lightly softened. Add 4cloves of peeled and crushed garlic and saute' for another minute, taking care not to brown the garlic. Add the tomato products. Add 1 tsp. dried basil, 1/2 tsp. oregano, and 1/4 tsp of the other herbs along with the bay leaf and brown sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer, stir to mix everything and cover. Break up and brown the ground beef, and season with salt to taste. When the ground beef is lightly browned, and fully cooked, remove from heat and drain. Test the sauce for flavor. Smell every herb to get an idea of what it will add to the sauce, and add a little of what you thing the sauce will need.

Important! You can always add more, but once it's in the sauce, it can't be removed.

Add a little of what you think the sauce needs and be aware that after adding an ingredient, you have to let the sauce cook for ten minutes or so before the new addition will release its flavor so that you can taste it. So go slow. That's the secret to a good sauce; you have to let the flavors develop and combine. If you try to rush it, unless you have a written recipe, it will fail. Once you obtain the flavor you like, then develop a recipe from notes you should be taking while developing your recipe.

If possible, make your sauce the day before you intend to serve it. There is a myth that sauce cooked all day is better. For most people, sauce that's cooked all day merely ends up scorched on the bottom. Mkae your sauce taste as good as you can. This should take no more than an hour to 90 minutes. Refrigerate it overnight and the flavors will blend together, while the various flavors are completely released by the herbs and other ingredients in the sauce. When you reheat it the next day, it will be superior by far compared to the first day it was prepared.

Patience is your best friend when making any kind of sauce, be a a tomato sauce, a Bechemel, or an Alfredo. It would behoove you to go online and goolge "Mother Sauces". Though the French Tomato Mother Sauce is different than an Italian tomato sauce, it is close enough, and will give you the technique you need to create whatever kind of sauce you like. And sauces are a very important thing to learn how to do.

The mother sauces will give you an idea how to make a host of sauces, which you can apply to everything from making a sauce to go with stir-fries, or to make a great sweet & sour sauce, or something to serve over turkey and dressing (gravies are very similar to a to of the mother sauces, Veloute, and Espangole.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom