Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Knives (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/)
-   -   Hattori FH-6C Gyuto 210mm (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/hattori-fh-6c-gyuto-210mm-66388.html)

Chief Longwind Of The North 08-26-2010 03:15 PM

Yeh, I'm not impressed yet, GB. I can shave the hair from my arm as well. I want to see the tomato drop test. After further sharpening, I get 3/4 through the tomato when it's dropped from 6 inches above the blade edge. C'mon. I know you're a pro. Show us the good stuff.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GB 08-26-2010 03:18 PM

If my garden would produce any tomatoes this year then you would have that video already :wink:

GB 08-26-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North (Post 916690)
Yeh, I'm not impressed yet, GB. I can shave the hair from my arm as well. I want to see the tomato drop test. After further sharpening, I get 3/4 through the tomato when it's dropped from 6 inches above the blade edge. C'mon. I know you're a pro. Show us the good stuff.

Here ya go GW :cool:

YouTube - Razor Sharp

Chief Longwind Of The North 08-27-2010 05:30 PM

Is that you, GB? If that's really you, then I am now, officially impressed.:mrgreen:

Of course it's not like the world is gonna quit spinning in circles if I wasn't.:lol:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GB 08-27-2010 05:32 PM

I was going to attempt the same thing with a grape tonight, but someone ate them already.

Chief Longwind Of The North 08-27-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 916903)
I was going to attempt the same thing with a grape tonight, but someone ate them already.

Now let's see you do that with a rutabaga!:lol:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GB 08-27-2010 05:50 PM

I'm working my way up to a feather from my down pillow.

Chief Longwind Of The North 08-27-2010 05:53 PM

Mine slices the edge of a finger quite nicely (llittle cut, very little, very fast reflexes while sharpening some more, this time on a newly made strop with jewelers rouge):lol:

GB 08-30-2010 11:04 AM

OK I tried the same test with a grape. There is no video of that test because it was unsuccessful. I was able to get the grape cut about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through, but I was not able to get a complete cut unless I caught the grape on the end, which does not count.

FrankZ 08-30-2010 02:37 PM

I have to say I normally cut my tomatoes while they sit on the cutting board, rarely do I fling em at the knife. :lol:

I wonder if there is a better way to test sharpness. Hmm...

GB 08-30-2010 02:39 PM

You are going to wear out your knife holding arm if you keep moving that knife back and forth Frank. Let the food do the work for you.

FrankZ 08-30-2010 02:45 PM

You might just have a point.. I will look into that.

GoGreyhounds 08-30-2010 11:41 PM

When you sharpen your knife, what equipment/technique are you using? I'm kind of new to the sharpening myself thing, and now that my Hattori showed up at school (but im at home now :( ), I should probably get good at this.

GB 08-31-2010 07:39 AM

I do not trust myself to sharpen free hand so I use the Edgepro Apex system. It is a lot of money up front, but it is the gold standard for sharpening systems. I think it is worth every penny.

Chief Longwind Of The North 08-31-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 917475)
I do not trust myself to sharpen free hand so I use the Edgepro Apex system. It is a lot of money up front, but it is the gold standard for sharpening systems. I think it is worth every penny.

Hey! That's cheating! I sharpened my knife with a two and a half inch medium Smith's Arkansas Stone (600 grit). It's sharp enough to cut 3/4 way through the dropped tomato. Of course I've made a convex edge on my knife and a sharpening system just wouldn't be good for it. I'm hoping that my self-made strop and jeweler's rouge will take the knife to that final edge I'm looking for.

Gotta admit though, the video proves how good your edge is. It still deserves a well earned congrats.

Rob Babcock 08-31-2010 07:28 PM

I've played around with convexing on an EP, and it can be done easily with a bit of "creativity.":lol: Try thin adhesive foam strips attached to EP blanks, with 3M PSA in various grits attached to the foam.:mrgreen:

GB 09-01-2010 09:14 AM

You amaze me Rob!