End of summer entertaining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I have a friend who is visiting from France while things close down for awhile. When she's in town, I have a few mutual friends over for an afternoon. I emailed several friends, at about 9 at night (I'm an early to bed gal), and when I woke up I already had a couple of friends telling me they'd be here. I guess everyone was ready. Since I have no kids myself, I wasn't aware that school would already be in session, and the parents in the group were ready to PARTY.

We're keeping it simple, it'll only be a dozen or so people. Because of where I live, I always invite everyone who lives on our block (only five families, and two of us have no children living at home)(the others make up for us with 3 kids apiece, under 10 years old!), plus any mutual friends.

We're just doing simple stuff, putting out crackers and cheese and pate (given to us by the friend living in France). I learned when I first moved here (almost 10 years ago!) that whether I ask people or not, they will bring something, so I asked for finger food, or cookies and such (the aforementioned bunch of kids).

I just wish the weather was going to cooperate, but I think it is going to be hot. I don't have central a/c, and I'm hoping we can sit on the porch.

Is anyone else doing something as we wind down summer?

Yes, we're in the midst of a family reunion, sorta. We've had company since last Saturday, and more keep coming in. Today is the big cook-out, with smoked ribs and pulled pork. My daughter is bringing Killer Baked Beans, and I have made Carolina Slaw and J.R.'s Pasta Salad. Step-daughter is bringing an hors d'oeuvre and a dessert, and DH's ex-wife is bringing the deviled eggs.
Tomorrow we'll have a big pancake and sausage breakfast, then clean up all the leftovers tomorrow night. Monday, everyone is pulling out except Cousin from California, who just got here. We're going to try to get him to stay for a while.

Well hello to my long lost "cousin" Connie :ermm: ~~~ Just wanted you to know I'll be driving in later for the weekend of good eats...I be bringing pecan pies, and banana pudding...Don't worry about having room....I'll sleep in the barn.:LOL:

I have a friend who is visiting from France while things close down for awhile. When she's in town, I have a few mutual friends over for an afternoon. I emailed several friends, at about 9 at night (I'm an early to bed gal), and when I woke up I already had a couple of friends telling me they'd be here. I guess everyone was ready. Since I have no kids myself, I wasn't aware that school would already be in session, and the parents in the group were ready to PARTY.

We're keeping it simple, it'll only be a dozen or so people. Because of where I live, I always invite everyone who lives on our block (only five families, and two of us have no children living at home)(the others make up for us with 3 kids apiece, under 10 years old!), plus any mutual friends.

We're just doing simple stuff, putting out crackers and cheese and pate (given to us by the friend living in France). I learned when I first moved here (almost 10 years ago!) that whether I ask people or not, they will bring something, so I asked for finger food, or cookies and such (the aforementioned bunch of kids).

I just wish the weather was going to cooperate, but I think it is going to be hot. I don't have central a/c, and I'm hoping we can sit on the porch.

Is anyone else doing something as we wind down summer?

Much as I adore France, particularly Cap Ferat, I'll be winding down soon by going to Greece, where I have an old house that needs renovations but where time stands still; on the patio with a homemade Greek salad, Lamb Kleftiko and a few bottles of local brew. And with family and our lovely old neighbour (pictured), watch the sun go down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom