Almost the proud owner of a Scarry-Sharp Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok, so I spent about three hours on my Croma 10 inch chef's knife last Saturday. I had only a 600 grit medium Smith's 2 inch stone to work with. I got it very sharp, but not enough to drop a tomato on it and watch it split in half. It did take a slice off of the side when my aim was poor.

Today, I took the same knife, and the same wet stone and applied very light strokes to the edge. I then lightly steeled the knife. On Saturday, when I dropped the tomato and my aim was true, the tomato didn't cut, not even through the skin a little bit. After today's effort, the same tomato drop test made me smile. Teh tomato cut 3/4 way through when dropped from about 6 inches above the knife edge. I just purchased some cow hide from which I will make a strop. I then saturate the strop with jeweler's rouge (red for the initial trial) and see where that gets me. And yes, I've worked hard to create that convex edge with just a Smith's stone. It takes a lot of careful strokes, and practiced hand movements.

I will have a scary sharp knife. It's now a personal quest. And I'll do it by hand, with minimalist tools, just to show that it can be done. The knife is up to the task. The question is, how skillful am I? We shall see.

So, GB, I hope to hear how and when you get your knife super sharp. And no, I'm not competing against you. I'm on the same quest, just with a different knife.;)

As far as you two sharpening maniacs, and you know who you are, I'll probably never get a knife as sharp as either of you. I don't have the tools or desire, or at this time, the technique or skill. You guys are amazing at dressing your knives.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Is GoodWeed allowed to have something that sharp? I thought he was still required to write posts in crayon.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::mrgreen::)

GW I look forward to this quest with you. I plan on attempting to get this knife so sharp I can split atoms.

Don't start bragging until you can split a water molecule into hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

Fagetaboutit. I'm planning on splitting the atom nucleus into quarks and such.:LOL: And as for you, forty_caliber, have you ever seen yourself with a mustache, on your forehead! I've got my marker pens all lined up. Don't fall asleep my friend. I'm thinking super glue, pantyhose, and the back of your neck, kind of a permanent mullet.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I haven't shaved the end of my thumb in a couple years now. I haven't so much as nicked a thumbnail. And i haven't taken the skin from a knuckle in even longer. I'll be ok. I promise.:mrgreen:

You guys are funny! Why aren't you "allowed" to have sharp knives Goodweed? lol! Do you injure yourself often?

You know how I said that I haven't cut myself in a good, long while? Well...
It's just a little nick, on the index finger, right next to the fingernail. It bled for a bit, but is just a little cut, really. And how did I get this little nick, why sharpening my knife of course.:LOL: My knife now shaves my arm hairs better than ever.

You know how I said that I haven't cut myself in a good, long while? Well...
It's just a little nick, on the index finger, right next to the fingernail. It bled for a bit, but is just a little cut, really. And how did I get this little nick, why sharpening my knife of course.:LOL: My knife now shaves my arm hairs better than ever.

Now I see why people were concerned for you! LOL. Be careful!

Back
Top Bottom