Onion Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Does anyone have a recipe for onion soup?
The onions in my garden are going nuts need to do something with them beside dehydrating or making onion rings.

Thank you.

Munky.

Here is one of Julia Child's recipes for French Onion Soup. She has several versions out there, I guess she changed her recipe from time to time.

I've found it's good to use a combination of different onions as that gives you more complex flavors. I don't care for this soup made with all vidalia or other sweet onion as it's too sweet for me.

FRENCH ONION SOUP

6 C Sliced Onions
1 Tb Olive Oil
3 Tb Butter
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Sugar
3 Tb Flour
8 C Beef Broth
½ C White Wine
2 Tb Brandy
½ In Slices if French Bread
Olive Oil
8 Oz Gruyere Cheese, Grated

Peel and slice the onions into thin, short slices.
Heat a large pan and add the oil and butter.
Add the onions and cook over low heat, covered, for 15 minutes.
Add the salt and sugar and stir them into the onions. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently. The onions should be a dark golden brown when done.
Sprinkle the flour onto the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Combine the liquids and stir them into the onion mixture. Scrape the bottom of the pan to unstick any cooked on food bits. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Spread the slices of bread with olive oil on both sides and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
Ladle the soup into crocks, cover with toasted bread. Divide the cheese among the crocks.
Place the crocks on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler. Broil until the cheese is bubbling.

WOW!!

Julia's recipe was very good. This one is a keeper! :)

Just had a small bowl of it. I subbed some croutons and mozzarella cheese. They were on hand, and a 1/2 teaspoon of molasses for a deeper color.

The rest is in the crock pot should anyone be hungry later on. Maybe I'll hide it for my lunch tomorrow. Thanks Andy :)

Princess:
I had completely forgotten about marinated onions. Thank you for the link. I'll have to try that. :)

Onion soup is mighty, mighty good. Julia Child's recipe is hard to beat.
There are, however a multitude of uses for onions:
Drop 2 or 3 whole onions in most any kind of soup,
If you plan to bake fish, stuff the body cavity with sliced onions,
Pickled onions are a good way to preserve some of your onions, (please follow proper and approved canning techniques),
When grilling meat or poultry, a few thick slices of grilled onions are wonderful as a side.
I am sure there are many other ways to enjoy onions....My memory fails me just now as I am now VERY hungry. :LOL:

Yumm-Yumm. This is my husband's specialty, and he pretty much follows Julia's recipe as well, with his own deviations when the mood hits him. I'm in charge of the croutons, and a sort of shortcut when we're preparing for a group (when getting all those crocks of soup under the broiler is a bear and balancing act, or if you simply do not have that many heat-proof crocks) is to take slices of bread, toast under the broiler, then top with the gruyere and melt. This can actually be done a little in advance (not long or the cheese turns to rubber). Then I place a slice of cheese-topped bread on each bowl, and a plate of extras on a platter, present the soup in a tureen or bowl, and everyone ladles their soup over the crouton and adds another if they so desire. No, not the restaurant presentation, but no one's paid me for food yet, I have no servants, and like to sit down with my guests. Everyone loves it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom