Copper cookware needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rolls0767

Assistant Cook
Hi one and all, new member and would be cook :rolleyes:
I live in Melbourne Australia and would like to purchase some copper cookware and need advise as to where I can purchase, do the best deal.
Copper is very expensive in Australia due in part to the exchange rate and shipping cost. I am happy to purchase off shore if I can purchase at the right price.
My needs are specific:
require,
1 10" saute pan
3 sause pans
1 large roasting pan
Would like lots more but budget is limited.

all items must be in 3mm + copper stainless steal, am happy to try tin lined but would rather stainless steal unless you can convince me otherwise.

In anticipation.
David

The best Deal I have found on 3 mm sauce pans is at Rocky Mountain Retinning in Denver. He has only one set of 4 available at $340 US w/lids. Peter makes these up from a collection of parts he purchased several years ago. Last time I talked to him, he had only a few sets left. These are tin lined and of very high quality. Tin is the best cooking surface, but they do require some care, mostly in not using metal implements, not heating past 425, and not using abrasives for cleaning. I prefer tin over stainless., especially in a sauce pan.

3 mm saute pans are rarer. My 10 inch saute is 2.5 mm, and is Dehellerin top of the line. Dehellerin is a good source for cookware, but they are not cheap.

Unless you have a reason for a large copper roasting pan, this might be a place to cut costs. IMO there is no real advantage to copper in an oven pan, and it is going to be very expensive.

Much of my copper cookware was purchased used. If you have the patience, this is the way to go. However, you must know what you are buying and not be afraid to ask questions, if you are buying sight unseen (ebay). A lot of vendors are buying estate lots, and do not know what they have. Most will answer your questions if you ask. There are a couple of knowledgeable vendors in Normandy on ebay and while I have not dealt with them, they do have good reputations.

many thanks for your assistance, I agree re the roasting pan but wanted it to double as a large saute pan for larger joint and browning work.
Jim any idea how to clean return shiny look to tin lined pots have a large 15 litre tin lined stock pot it is grey and dark (Mauviel).
keep safe and well,
Graham.

Tin greys with use, is normal, and, IMO, irreversible. It's called patina. Do not use any abrasive on the interior. I wipe the interior immediately after using, and, if necessary, soak overnight with soap and water. Some say boiling soapy water will remove cooking residue, I have never needed to do this. It is worth repeating, do not try to make the interior shiny.

Back
Top Bottom