Tangy Sourdough Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
I've been working on this one for quite a while. I think I can finally call it TNT.

Tangy Sourdough Bread - Poolish
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: forty_caliber
Yield: 2 Loaves

Ingredients:

1 cup sourdough starter, unfed
2 cups warm water, divided
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cups Bread Flour, divided
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions:

Add unfed sourdough starter into stand mixer bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups warm water and 3 cups of flour. Mix by hand using heavy wire whisk until well incorporated. Mixture will be thick. Scrape down sides and cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for 6 to 12 hours. The longer you wait, the tangier the end product. Holding over night makes VERY tangy bread. There will be bubbles and some expansion of the sponge.

Add yeast and sugar to remaining 1/2 cup of warm water and stir. Allow yeast to bloom. Yeast mixture should be foamy in about 10 minutes.

Add the yeast mixture, salt, 3 cups flour, and olive oil to sponge. Knead with dough hook to form a smooth, soft dough about 5 minutes on speed 2. Place in a lightly greased bowl turning once to coat, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.

Punch down and knead on floured board. Divide the dough in half, and shape into two loaves. Use your choice of baking stone or prepared loaf pans and cover. Let rise until almost doubled about an hour.

Slash the tops of the loaves and bake in a preheated 400 F degree oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on rack. Lightly butter top of loaves while still warm.

Last edited:
Sounds good, 40!!! ;)

If you use 1/2 bread flour and 1/2 All Purpose, it also makes a fairly descent pizza dough, too!

Last edited:
Looks really good...I'm going to have to start up Audrey II again. She's been hanging out in the freezer as I ran out of time for bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom