Good evening from Kalymnos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
The Kalymnian food has been fantastic, wine also.. I have photos to share, but later. Internet time needs replenishing, but I'll try and be back here before leaving for home this weekend..

Weather has been great, but very hot and humid. Tonight (20:15 time of posting it's 34C outside with a raging 80% humidity. Lol, almost hot enough to slow cook Greek fassiola (giantes). Me? I'm sweating like a pig, Jill my daughter also despite the internet caff's air con is switched on but ain't making it. :LOL: Neither is this cranky old Greek keyboard. Sorry for any typos...

Apart from early morning and late evening, we've stayed in. Done some good clubbing though, Jll and I. Started out at midnight through to 05:00 whereupon slightly tiddly we crawl home to crash out until midday. And, some pretty good drinking, too. ;) As ever, the Kalymnian guys have been flirty. But got nowhere, teehee!

An interestingthing I want you guys to realise. In Greece, same as Kalymnos, a 12 year old girl can enter a supermarket, buy and take out a case of Scotch. Unbelieveable, the Greek drinking laws for young people. Even more unbelieveable is fact that you will not see one Kalymnian child or teenager drunk. This is because they do not disgrace their parents with drunkness, so instead they drink soft drinks, though they smoke. Cigs (Lucky Strike of which am particularly fond of as with Karelias Sprecial Virginia) are only 3 euros a packet. Marvellos. Also, we've been sipping Margueritas by the pool, chartered a fishing boat with family for the day and chilled on the ocean. Jill proudly line-caught a 30 lb swordfish, but had to have assistence reeling the brute in. Then she caught a conger, a 5 foot nasty and that's when we shinned up the fo'c'sle flipping blooming pronto! :LOL: One of our family members, 'T', fearlessly danged it into submission with a 10 mallet. She has more courage than men twice her age. That evening we pigged out on souvlaki swordfish, green salad, chips and a case of fine white wine.

To the drinkers here, a sound piece of advice..
Beer before wine - fine.
Wine before beer - queer.

:rolleyes:I should take my advice more often.

The holiday has had some 'downs', however, I wish not to share them here except to say that apart from the never-ending heat, humidity and certain persistant Greek men of which thoroughly deserved receiving a da**ed good hiding from this English girl and her lovely daughter, our holiday has been great fun, if rather interesting.

See you soon I hope.
With much love and fondness to you all at DC,
Lyra-Emma

Last edited:
Glad you checked in and having a good time.
It has been close to 100 degrees all week here so I feel your pain.
I hope you share some pics with those who were less fortunate and did not go globe trotting!

Do they smash plates on your heads when drinking Ouzo or is that just for tourist traps?

Sounds like you're having a great time! I like watching movies filmed in Greece.
Being half Greek (Japanese mother, Greek father) I must visit Greece one of these days, as I have never visited that part of the world.

Japan is very similar with their alcohol laws. Vending machines in public places dispense alcoholic beverages, cigarettes too. Children can buy alcohol and smokes at corner markets. It is assumed that they're purchased for their parents.
Laws like that would never fly in this country.

Sounds like you are having a great holiday! Hope to hear more when you get back. Want to hear ALL about the food of course! :rolleyes:

Sounds like the good times were good for sure. Drinking, clubbing, fishing, and great food. I wish I were there!

Glad you checked in and having a good time.
It has been close to 100 degrees all week here so I feel your pain.
I hope you share some pics with those who were less fortunate and did not go globe trotting!

Do they smash plates on your heads when drinking Ouzo or is that just for tourist traps?

HA! Don't know if they smash plates on heads but during festive occasions, Greek men are inclined to smash plates. Just not Mama's Royal Doulton. Or WW3 would break out and said men find themselves spending a night on the tiles with the feral cats. :LOL:

The heat, 100 degrees I think, rages on though a big thunderstorm is forecasted later tonight. And rain is dearly wished for because the island hasn't seen rain since last March. The pics I'll be sharing once I get home will show just how parched and dry everything is.

Sounds like you're having a great time! I like watching movies filmed in Greece.
Being half Greek (Japanese mother, Greek father) I must visit Greece one of these days, as I have never visited that part of the world.

Japan is very similar with their alcohol laws. Vending machines in public places dispense alcoholic beverages, cigarettes too. Children can buy alcohol and smokes at corner markets. It is assumed that they're purchased for their parents.
Laws like that would never fly in this country.

Laws would never be permitted in mine,either. But Britain has a far different culture, its people and attitudes way different from other European countries. But in Greece like France, children are brought up to respect alcohol because their parents give them wine, often mixed with a littlewater at table, and so the children see wine is only drank at family meals and, during festive occasions.

Sounds like you are having a great holiday! Hope to hear more when you get back. Want to hear ALL about the food of course! :rolleyes:

The food has been great! :) Fried, lightly battered Kalamari (squid) is a speciality here, served with Ouzo which is usually cut with a little water. I love it, though err on the Ouzo because it can give an almighty hangover. :ermm: < as I discovered when 14. Lessons at that age are learnt fast. :LOL:

Sounds like the good times were good for sure. Drinking, clubbing, fishing, and great food. I wish I were there!

We'd have loved you're being there with us boogying into the night. :) The club music is "progressive trance" or a mixture of house and hip-hop. Much of the music is vocal, sung by Kirsty Hawkshaw who, as you know, is a family friend. The music is high quality, mixed well and.. there is Tiesto, his club trance music absolutely rocks the Kalymnians, and in Club Loca where we hang out, the people are friendly with not a trace of trouble. Jill has made friends with some boys, really sweet boys unlike those back home and Monica also has been having a really good time.

It feels safe here among the young Kalymnians we know and have come to trust. They look out for us. In the mornings when I open the door to let the coolness of early morning in, often there is left a carrier bag of eggs, fresh lemons, a wrapped loaf of homemade bread and some cinnamon biscuits the same, left for us. These young people are gentle and their generosity of heart touching my daughter and family.

If it were not for the never-ending heat, unusual for September, I might have felt more inclined to stay longer.

Look after yourself dear GB and all you, my special friends here. :) See you again after we get home.

Lyra-Emma

Back
Top Bottom