Let's Cook Pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aria

Sous Chef
I have trouble navigating. That is one of the reasons I left the Forum. Will try to get it. This time of year we want recipes on how to use Pumpkin. I will start with a pumpkin dish Kadu Bouranee(Sweet Pumpkin)
2 lb fresh pumpkin
1/4 cup corn oil(I use Canola Oil)
Sweet Tomato Sauce:
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
l cup water
sprinkle salt
sprinkle sugar
4 oz tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh Ginger Root chopped fine
1 tablespoon Coriander seeds (or ground Coriander)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Yogurt Sauce:
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
sprinkle salt
3/4 cup plain green yogurt
Garnish dry mint leaves crushed.

Peel the pumpkin and cut into 2-3 inch cubes set aside
Heat oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Fry the pumpkin pieces on both sides for a couple of minutes until lightly browned.

Mix together ingredients for Sweet Tomato Sauce in a bowl, then add to pumpkin in fry poan. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes over low heat until the pumpkin is cooked and most of the liquid is evaporated..

Mix together the ingredients for the Yogurt Sauce.

To serve spread half the yogurt sauce on a plate and lay the pumpkin on top. Top with remaining yogurt and any cooking juices left over. Sprinkle with dry mint.

So savory and delicious. We serve a bowl of brown rice or bulger wheat with this, and sliced cucumbers. And it's really good the second time if you have some left. Sweet Pumpkin (Kadu Bouranee) Title: Let's Cook Pumpkin Subject: Pumpkin

Here is a French recipe that my mother used to make..

Fried Pumpkin- "Chips" de Potiron
1 2 lb peice of pumpkin
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper( or black, if prefer)
oil for frying
1 tablespoon finely choppe garlic
Chopped fresh parsley

Peel and clean pumpkin. Slice into 1/4 inch pieces about 1x1 1/2 inch rectangles. Or any other uniformly shaped pieces.
Dip pumpkin in milk and dust with seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Fry pumpkin evenly until golden and drain on paper towel. Serve on platter and sprinkle garlic and parsley liberally on them....enjoy

Roch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom