Friday's Dinner 10/15/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I haven't been posting on this thread lately, but I've been keeping up with what you guys are doing.

I've been cleaning out the freezer gradually and tonight I have a thawed hunk of that huge pork roast that I plan to cook down to make BBQ.

My idea is to get it more tenderized for shredding, put it in a casserole dish with BBQ sauce and maybe some brown sugar and then bake and/or broil to get that carmelized flavor.

I'm open to suggestions about tenderizing the meat. So far I just plan to put it in the casserole dish with some water and cover with foil and give it an hour or so at 325.

What are you having?

French dips! Need to come up with a side though. Maybe baked potatoes.

To the person open to suggestions about tenderizing meat, I've heard that adding some vinegar to the marinade (or in your case, water) really helps to soften the meat. Though I have not tried it.

Club steak, cauliflower, potatoes and maybe a salad.

Not totally sure yet. Usually Friday is hot dog night (in front of the TV watching sports. But that will wait until tomorrow.

I have some chicken I want to use up so I might do that, and slip to the store and get Dad the frozen veal cordon swiss he loves (he isn't a poultry fan). But that is only if I have time to go out. I am in the midst of getting ready for a baby shower tomorrow for my niece and great nephew!

I've been marinating a couple of pork tenderloins in chinese barbecue Char Siu sauce. We'll use the stovetop smoker for them and I'll be making Fiona's wasabi slaw to go with it, and some steamed jasmine rice.

It's sunless and dreary here today and I'm in the mood for something sweet. I seldom bake, but think I'll look around the baking forum for something I can't mess up. :rolleyes:

PS, Zhizara, you'll need more than an hour to get that pork as tender as you want. I'd reduce the temp to 300 and cook for at least two hrs. Don't forget to add about a tsp. of liquid smoke to the vinegar water.;)

Last edited:
Now that the strike is over I meant to throw some chicken in the crock pot and make verde enchiladas... but didn't. :ermm:

So now I need a plan B. We do have some left over indian food...

I'm having my tnt mary's greek pasta and shrimp dish. EXCEPT I'm going to try out the tofu SHIRITAKI noodles for the first time. Anyone try them yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
We're eating out tonight. The wife has given me the night off cooking. :LOL: I'm going to have cheesesteak omelette at our favourite diner.

We're eating out tonight. The wife has given me the night off cooking. :LOL: I'm going to have cheesesteak omelette at our favourite diner.
I'm having a problem with one of my eyes, and when I first saw this, I thought it said "cheesecake omelette!"

We were planning to go to our friends' house for dinner and a movie, but their daughter has strep. James picks strep up at the drop of a hat, so we are staying home. I'm going to make Hamburger Stew. I haven't had that in awhile. :cool:

:)Barbara

I haven't been posting on this thread lately, but I've been keeping up with what you guys are doing.

I've been cleaning out the freezer gradually and tonight I have a thawed hunk of that huge pork roast that I plan to cook down to make BBQ.

My idea is to get it more tenderized for shredding, put it in a casserole dish with BBQ sauce and maybe some brown sugar and then bake and/or broil to get that carmelized flavor.

I'm open to suggestions about tenderizing the meat. So far I just plan to put it in the casserole dish with some water and cover with foil and give it an hour or so at 325.

What are you having?

I crock pot would have worked perfectly for this. And I agree, if you do it in the oven low and slow will be the way to go.

I've been marinating a couple of pork tenderloins in chinese barbecue Char Siu sauce. We'll use the stovetop smoker for them and I'll be making Fiona's wasabi slaw to go with it, and some steamed jasmine rice.

It's sunless and dreary here today and I'm in the mood for something sweet. I seldom bake, but think I'll look around the baking forum for something I can't mess up. :rolleyes:

PS, Zhizara, you'll need more than an hour to get that pork as tender as you want. I'd reduce the temp to 300 and cook for at least two hrs. Don't forget to add about a tsp. of liquid smoke to the vinegar water.;)

Ooooooooh! I love char sui!

I had already roasted the pork and froze hunks to be used later. I did cook it in the vinegar water (oops, good idea about the liquid smoke, but too late:LOL:.) I checked it at an hour by sticking a table fork in it and twisting, and was surprised to find it coming apart just like pulled pork. I poured out the vinegar water, added the shredded pork plus an ounce or two left in the Hoisin bottle, and some thick & spicy brown sugar BBQ sauce, and mixed it up so that the pork is colored, but not soupy. I just put it back in the oven at the same 325 for 30 minutes. I'll give it a taste then, and either eat it or go ahead and put it under the broiler for some blackening.

I guess I'll have to put the liquid smoke bottle out on the counter so I'll get used to using it. I did try a little bit in the last pot of beans I made. I can see how too much could be disastrous. Maybe that's why I didn't think of it this time. It's a shame because I did want to try it in braising water like you suggested last time. Oh well, at least I did get it tender enough to shred. I too figured it would take more than an hour, but was pleasantly surprised. Good thing too as I'm getting hungry.

I'm still drooling about the char sui and me with all that pork. Please tell me how you make it. I fell in love with it when I lived in Hawaii back in the 60s and the only time I've had it was with take out chinese that was always overcooked. Kind of like char sui jerky:ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:
The shredded pork BBQ came out great. It was candied enough on top that I just stirred it up and had some open faced on both sides of an English muffin tonight and will save enough to have in taco shells tomorrow. The rest will be portioned into plastic bags for freezing some quick meals down the road.

Dinner turned out to be a rotisserie chicken from Costco, pan fried potatoes and peas. Dad isn't a chicken fan, but he loves rotisserie and he loves his pan fries! Since I was cooking all day for the shower, it was nice not to have to do too much for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom