Furi Sharpening Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Hi there, just wondering if anyone owns a Furi sharpening system? I'm interested in getting their Tech Edge Complete Sharpening System. It combines their tech edge restorer and the diamon fingers sharpener.

Does anyone have experience with either their Tech Edge Restorer and/or their Diamond Fingers Sharpener.

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Ekim & Others - I looked into the site you listed and also found some wonderful recipes when browsing around. There is one for Spicy Cuban Chicken that sounds great, so I had to print that one. Most recipes I looked at seemed pretty easy, not unusual ingredients, and also nutritional info. I'll definitely have to get back there when I have more time, but pretty neat site. :)

Well I bought the newer version of the Furi Fingers Sharpening system. It works pretty easily and pretty well. My knives were getting very dull and this thing got a very nice edge on them. All my knives shave my fingernails easily!

DO NOT USE FURI KNIVES!!!!!!!!! If you own the tech edge or any other range of furi knives, start saving you money, these knives WILL let you down. I was an avid user for about 2 years had the whole range and all the other bits and pieces and found them lacking. The two FURI products that still are in my chef case are the thin boning knife, this is a great length and feels good for close work, and the furi oval DIAMOND steel, its a work of art, it has been taken out of production now so if you find one buy it its magic.

Use the systems if you want but at the end of the day learn how to use a stone and steel, nothing works as well as the old ways. Have fun and good luck.

Well I only meant the sharpener. I don't even know the brand of knives I'm using. My brother gave me his old knife set when I moved into my house because I didn't have anything. But the Furi Fingers thing really brought the dead edges back to life.

Big Al said:
DO NOT USE FURI KNIVES!!!!!!!!! If you own the tech edge or any other range of furi knives, start saving you money, these knives WILL let you down.

Out of curiousity (I was about to buy some) how did they let you down?

As a chef, I require my tools to be of a certain standard, I work in a 180 seater establishment that books out both lunch and dinner, kitchenware, in a place like this will show up if its of inferior quality, my medium east/west was lasting only 18 months before it was run down at the heel and unusable. In my opinion, these knives, though marketed as professional quality, are only up to domestic standards. You should always buy the BEST that you can afford as far as tools for your trade go, there are better quality knives out there around the same price range. The sharpening system really is a gymic. The blade of your cleaver needs different attention than that of you boning knife, one system I feel cannot cover both. For years the old stone and steel method has been the benchmark sharpening system for chefs, it is tryed and true, it creates a skill that is REQUIRED in the profession, now with time working against them chefs are turning to quicker means of quickly getting an edge. I take my knives home with me twice a week and stone them outside of work, I have pride in the edge I can produce and the sharpness of my knives, something the trade is loosing. But not all is lost for furi, I still use their boning knife, its great, wish it had better quality steel in but it feels fantastic. Furi made a oval shaped sharpening steel which has been taken out of production, if you can find one, buy it, it's truely amazing and if you don't want it, I'll buy it

Keep cooking
Craig

Hey Craig,

Any chance we could get some starter tips how to sharpen knives using a stone? And (now this will really show my inexperience) are there different types of stones etc. one needs to know about?

Thanks,

Keith

EDIT: Sorry for the post as I should have done a search on the subject of stones and sharpening....I have since found some great tutorials on the subject (not to say your advise wouldn't be appreciated Craig!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom