Favorite or new tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appstudent

Assistant Cook
I'm very curious,

What is your favorite cooking tool(s) or gadget of all time?

Have you thought of any new tools that you wish existed?

Can you think of any tool where there is an opportunity for improvement????:chef:

Thanks!

My Favorite Tools

It would be nice if these were cut and burn proof.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 277
My veg-o-matic works pretty good.

Seriously, The last thing I bought was probably one of my micro graters.I also received a pyrex gravy seperator with a strainer lid as a gift. Hard to improve on either.

My most recent kitchen gadget purchase was an electronic thermometer.

I'm not very happy with it. It should have a way to calibrate it. I also wish there were some way for it not to measure the temperature with the part of the probe that isn't in the food.

I have an old-fashioned candy and deep fry thermometer that can be calibrated. I just wish the clip was a better design. I've never had a thermometer with a clip that I liked. There should be a way for me to angle the thermometer so it doesn't touch the side of the pan and it would stay that way.

The microwave is the most wonderful addition to the kitchen in my lifetime. I can't think of anything else that has added so much versatility.

My favourite cooking tool is my Dualit stainless steel toaster. It has a clockwork timer that tick-tocks in its countdown to perfect toast. Every time. The Dualit is strong, reliable, looks rather like a Harley bolt-on and is mechanical, but brought to life by electricity, its “life form”.

My all-time favourite gadget, if one could call it that, is a 25 inch scaled-down antique Beam Steam Engine that Grandpa built. He was an engineer and lived in Athens, but his love was making mechanical toys. I’d love to show you a photo of it, but the engine is in my home in Greece.

I have many but my favorite is my 10" natural imperial maple pepper grinder. I still get carry away when I turn the head to grind peppers.

Attachments

• 10250n.jpg
    10250n.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 294
My most recent kitchen gadget purchase was an electronic thermometer.

I'm not very happy with it. It should have a way to calibrate it. I also wish there were some way for it not to measure the temperature with the part of the probe that isn't in the food.

I have an old-fashioned candy and deep fry thermometer that can be calibrated. I just wish the clip was a better design. I've never had a thermometer with a clip that I liked. There should be a way for me to angle the thermometer so it doesn't touch the side of the pan and it would stay that way.

An electronic thermometer doesn't need calibration. It's calibrated at the factory and then never varies. Only old fashioned bi-metal mechanical thermometers do (the ones with the round dial on top.)

It's the first 3/8 inch of the probe of an electronic thermometer takes the temperature... not the entire probe, even though it's all one piece of metal tubing.

As for the clip design, I'm sorry, but I can't help you there.

Last edited:
Room for improvement: Skillets. Several skillets I've gotten in the past have a too heavy handle bracket. These are companies that have been in business forever. Don't they test their products?

The heavy bracket insures that the pan does not sit tight against the electric burner and cooks unevenly. One of them I inherited from my Mom. She bought it at a specialty store and paid about $40 for a small frying pan which was useless.

The set of cookware I bought recently was made by Wearever. Both the small and large skillet don't sit completely flat unless they are really loaded.

They also used a single handle for a 3 quart pot that I usually use for pasta since I live alone and don't have to make so much. Try lifting a 3 quart pot of hot water and pasta with one hand. Many older people have some weakening of the wrist joints and it would be impossible for them. Even with two hands it is difficult and dangerous lifting with only one handle. What were they thinking? Never mind, the obviously weren't thinking.

The largest pot has two handles, one on either side and would be the safest configuration for the 3 quart pot.

It also ticked me off that there was only a tiny saucepan and then the 3 quart. A 1-1/2 quart or 2 quart would be the size I'd use the most.

Unfortunately buying any pan separate from a set is ridiculously expensive for my limited income. I've compensated by making large batches of rice and freezing them, but because of the weird settings on my stove, this time I made rice it wasn't done at first. When that happens, trying to correct it always ends up paste on the outside and hard on the inside. All of it garbage. Fortunately rice is cheap, but what a waste of time and rice.

Last edited:
An electronic thermometer doesn't need calibration. It's calibrated at the factory and then never varies. Only old fashioned bi-metal mechanical thermometers do (the ones with the round dial on top.)

That was what I expected, but it sure doesn't seem that way. I guess I should test it in boiling water and in ice water. The round one that I can calibrate was correct from the factory.

It's the first 3/8 inch of the probe of an electronic thermometer takes the temperature... not the entire probe, even though it's all one piece of metal tubing.

I'm trying to remember what makes me think it isn't. It was something specific, because it never occurred to me before that it might be measuring with more than the area near the tip. Maybe I was measuring the temperature of milk for making yoghurt. I seem to remember stirring the liquid to make sure the temperature was the same everywhere.

As for the clip design, I'm sorry, but I can't help you there.

I wonder how other people use those things.

I replaced my ancient Ekco with a Pampered Chef potato peeler and LOVE it! Another favorite item is my silicone baster brushes! Just a couple of items that make life easier. :wub:

I replaced my ancient Ekco with a Pampered Chef potato peeler and LOVE it! Another favorite item is my silicone baster brushes! Just a couple of items that make life easier. :wub:

Me and my bro had a contest peeling potatoes one Thanksgiving. I used what was probably one of the first peelers on the market of this type. It must be 40 years old. He used the more modern handle type like yours.

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,feemster-devault-vegetable,1868742.html

I kicked his butt using this old school fist grab peeler.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one of these. Clip it onto the edge of the pan and slide the thermometer through one of the handles.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom