What do you use your toaster oven for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I had one years ago when I didn't have an oven in my place.I had that and a 2 burner electric countertop cooktop.I learned to cook most anything I wanted with that set-up.

I have a full-kitchen now in my house and have not wanted to give up the counterspace for one.
I could see myself using one for use as a salamander/broiler for small items but I am at a loss to what other functions I would use it for now.I own a bread toaster.

What do you use YOURS for?

I use it for toasting bread, bagels, frozen waffles (when I'm lazy) and as an oven when I don't want to heat my gas oven for small relatively quick items. Mine also has a broiler function that I have used on occasion.

Mi kitchen is equiped with a big oven, that I use only in special ocasions ( several dishes at the same time that need oven). I bought toaster oven that is not small, but not as big as the regular oven. The small oven is used for everything: toasts, casseroles. cakes, muffins, etc. I think es good, as in hot days it does not heats the place as much. And also: the electicity bill is not as big.
(this is only my opinion, lets see other opinions.......)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my toaster oven. I have a Cuisinart with a convention option. Thankfully, I have the counterspace for it, but even if I didn't, I would make space for it.

I use it everyday, several times a day. Toast, bagels, waffles, french fries, cakes, casseroles, roasting a small chicken, roasting veggies and potatoes, are just to name a few.

My Cuisinart food processor and my Kitchenaid mixer go unused for weeks at a time, but NOT my toaster oven ... it's truly my best friend in the kitchen.

My toaster oven is convection also. I use it for anything that will fit there. The only time I don't use it is if I'm making several things that can bake at the same at the same temperature. I don't mind using the big oven, but I see no reason to heat up something that big when the toaster oven will work. I also start many of my casseroles as well as some other things in the microwave to get a head start on the baking. Certainly saves time and there is no difference in the taste or quality.

Toaster Oven

I live in the Florida Keys, so we don't need to heat up the kitchen any time. Therefore the toaster oven is ideal for everything you would use the oven for.
Last night I broiled Country Style Ribs (3), to get them nice and brown, then covered with foil and baked to make them "fall off the bone", tender. At the end I added my cooked rice and frozen veggies. A little BBQ sause and some water and let bake untill all is ready!
All in the toaster oven, while I sat out in the nice cool shaded patio with a vodka and soda! Superb!

I live in Quebec, with a long, cold winter. But, in summer, I use it for anything that fits. No point in heating the kitchen more than necessary. Toasting really big chunks of bread, turning whole wheat pitas into chips. Toasting lots of bread at once - if we have guests over for brunch, the toaster and the toaster oven are going at once. Reheating croissants - they come out rubbery in the nuketron. Meat loaf, but only one of the kinds of meat loaf that we make fits in the toaster oven.

Mine is a 15 year old DeLonghi Airstream with convection. I will have to try using it for dehydrating some time. I told my dh when I move in that we needed a toaster oven that was designed to handle meat, and the $200 DeLonghi is what he brought home after doing research.

I like the idea of using it for a dehydrater too.Anybody doing this?What to use for racks?

Does anybody notice a change in their elec. bills from 220 elec oven vs 110 toaster oven? Really hot days we just grill or have the A/C on.

Does anybody have trouble with meat in their cheap toaster ovens?What cuts of meat give trouble?

I think there are too many variables in electric usage month to month to accurately measure how much a toaster oven costs vs. an electric or gas oven.

I don't really use the TO for meats other than hot dogs or to finish pan seared chicken breasts.

I had one years ago when I didn't have an oven in my place.I had that and a 2 burner electric countertop cooktop.I learned to cook most anything I wanted with that set-up.

I have a full-kitchen now in my house and have not wanted to give up the counterspace for one.
I could see myself using one for use as a salamander/broiler for small items but I am at a loss to what other functions I would use it for now.I own a bread toaster.

What do you use YOURS for?

I've never had one, but the more I read here the more I wish I had one.
I'm still not convinced I want to give up the counter space however.
The only spot I could put one would be where my kitchen tv is.....nope, the little tv wins.

I have never used a toaster oven, no experience with one. Of course, at this point, I don't have the space for one.

I have a $30 SunBeam toaster oven. I use it for:

Reheating pizza
Heating frozen garlic bread
Melting cheese over lettuce on bread for making a sandwich
Toasting a completed sandwich on just the outside
Keeping food warmed while the rest of a meal is prepared
Cooking hors dourves. Rumaki = bacon wrapped water chesnuts

I think toaster ovens are pretty handy. However, I think they use just as much electricity as an oven to cook the same foods due to toaster ovens losing heat because of no insulation.

Toasting a meat & cheese sandwich open faced, with meat on one slice and cheese on the other, rather than grilling in the frying pan, less greasy.

A quick late snack of just a melty slice of cheese on toast.

It uses 110 rather than 220 and takes much less time to preheat.

I have one casserole dish to fit in it. It makes 4 huge servings as a one dish meal and 6 good size servings if you have other sides.

Cooking for one it just makes more sense.

Having said all that, in the Winter time I use the oven. My regular electric bill is quite small and roasting doesn't seem to make it much higher and the AC/Heating unit draws a LOT of power when used for heating. My first wintertime electric bill was more than double my usual one, so I use the oven and Leave the door open while it cools after cooking, same as when I do use the TO. Save the heat for me.

with just the 2 of us home now, I use it alot instead of turning on my oven
hot dogs, reheating some leftovers, pizzas, hot sandwhiches, broiling fish etc

Back
Top Bottom