Research from the experienced!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maclements

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself! My name is Matthew Clements, I'm from Wales, UK and I'm studying BSc Product Design in Bournemouth University.

For my final year project I am going to be looking at existing Jug Blenders on the market and where I could improve them. I have a few things up my sleeve but what I'm really looking for is where you guys would like to see improvement! I'd really like to see if I can get a good discussion going as to what you think is wrong with them and how could they be improved?

Personally when using a jug blender, I have to shake, rock or tilt the blender to ensure the contents have been throughly blended and cleaning is a bit of a pain! How do you find these issues? Anything from personal experience? I'm also looking at the use of blenders in Raw food diets! Does anyone have any experience with these?

I really hope you can all help and really appreciate all of you feedback!

Thanks!

Matt.

Hi! Sorry I should have been more clear! The blenders you have in you're kitchen which you use to make smoothies and purees and things! Like the one below.
_88874__186256__.jpg

Hi! Sorry I should have been more clear! The blenders you have in you're kitchen which you use to make smoothies and purees and things! Like the one below.
_88874__186256__.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up. We have one. Been in the deepest darkest corner of the least used cabinet in the kitchen for years. It's completely useless. Difficult to clean, does a poor job, messy...hate it.

Thank you for the reply! Funny you should say that, a lot of people find them very useful! There is a diet called a Raw food diet which after researching I have found is becoming quite popular! Basically you blend raw fruit or vegetables and ingredients to make soups, smoothies and sauces to eat! It's a shame you don't use one but the points you have made are still very useful, poor job, messy and difficult to clean! Thank you for your feedback!

Has anybody else had any experience with one of these?

I have an old one from the 1970's, wide base, push button control/speed, wide glass container, wide botttom to the container, made of real metal and glass, not plastic. Never had any problems with it or cleaning it.

You want to know how to improve today's blenders? Make them like they used to be made, strong, durable, and affordable. :)

Welcome Maclements to DC.

I have a Waring Blender and cannot fault it. It blends all kinds of raw fruit and makes me wonderful smoothies. being diabetic I find this blender really helps me enjoy sauces etc so much better. Never had problems cleaning it. It's expensive, but worth it for build quality alone.

Enjoy the forum.

DaveSoMD - I agree with you, they don't make product like they used to which means they break sooner! I will definitely look at the difference between old and new!

Poppi G. Koullias - The Waring blenders are very good, but they come at a cost! My target market are those with quite a high disposable income, but Waring blenders cost roughly £300-£400 in the UK! That's a tremendous amount of money to pay for a blender for the home don't you think?

Selkie - Im a 21 year old student at Bournemouth University this is purely for educational purposes, I understand if you would not like to give feedback, I'm very grateful for anyone taking time to do so!

Kayelle - This is another problem I need to try and address, people know what they are and what they do, but do not use them enough to keep them out, although many people say they are one of the best, if not the best appliance in the kitchen for healthy eating and cooking! Raising awareness on a product that does it's job well will be another one of my tasks throughout the year!

thank you all so much for you're feedback, Anybody else have any experience with Blenders?

Poppi G. Koullias - The Waring blenders are very good, but they come at a cost! My target market are those with quite a high disposable income, but Waring blenders cost roughly £300-£400 in the UK! That's a tremendous amount of money to pay for a blender for the home don't you think?

No, I don't think. That Waring blender wil be good 20 years down the line, but where you came up with such high price I've no idea. Take a look at Amazon UK

Amazon.co.uk: Waring Blenders - Kitchen & Home

We have the Pro Classic, the green one.

Of course, you can always buy a Kenwood, like their BL335 very keenly priced here.

Kenwood BL335 Blender, 1 Litre, 350W: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

and I expect it would give very good service. It wil do all you would expect in scrunching down raw food. Just at a far lower price. Or there's Braun and Philips who make hand blenders, those "stick-types", also good value.

I acknowledge though, that paying out £130.00 is a lot for someone on a low income, but find a blender suitable for price and functionality like the above and you'll have the best of both worlds. :)

Maclements,
My blender is over 30 years old and works well. It's a Hamilton Beech, something like 16 speeds, has a glass carafe that tapers to the blade to drive the ingredients to the blade. It does a great job at blending items with the exception that sometimes an air bubble will develop around the blade assembly and I have to stop and break the bubble so the ingredients will continue to blend. I believe this is referred to as cavitation and is likely caused by blade design, but not sure. However, it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of my blender.
Two things I've noticed with newer blenders that I don't care for:
The wide base of the carafe seems like the ingredients wouldn't get driven directly to the blade assy and also the carafe is made of plastic. I do a lot of chile based sauces and wouldn't want a chile stained carafe.

HTH.

Poppi G. Koullias - Apologies, for some reason I thought we we're talking about Blentec! My mistake! The Waring blenders looks very good! Do you not have a problem that the mixture stays solid on top for a long period of time before it all mixed thoroughly? Research shows that when blending raw food for Raw food diets, the longer the blender takes to blend the ingredients, the more nutrients it loses due to exposure to Oxygen. Another issue I wish to look at!

Hammster - It looks like you agree with DaveSoMD! The old ones are the best! I do not like the idea of plastic jugs, I would like it to have a heat resistant glass not only for cleaning purposes, but for quality as well.

Hammster - It looks like you agree with DaveSoMD! The old ones are the best! I do not like the idea of plastic jugs, I would like it to have a heat resistant glass not only for cleaning purposes, but for quality as well.

I do feel the old ones seem to be better made and of higher quality. Not sure that glass necessarily makes for a better quality carafe, but it does have certain benefits that plastic doesn't.
Just so it doesn't get lost in all of this, the issue of cavitation should be addressed and I think you referred to it as well in your OP with your reference to shaking, rocking, etc the carafe during blending. That could also be an issue with the wide based carafes.

I don't find cleaning a pain with mine since the blade assy comes off of the carafe leaving a nice open hole at the bottom. Also, one can put hot, soapy water right into the carafe and run it on the blender to start the cleaning process. Then disassemble and finish washing/rinsing in the sink.

Poppi G. Koullias - Apologies, for some reason I thought we we're talking about Blentec! My mistake! The Waring blenders looks very good! Do you not have a problem that the mixture stays solid on top for a long period of time before it all mixed thoroughly? Research shows that when blending raw food for Raw food diets, the longer the blender takes to blend the ingredients, the more nutrients it loses due to exposure to Oxygen. Another issue I wish to look at

The mixture in question has always been fine with our Waring, but never mind about the confusion on your part. It's easily done. For a moment I thought I'd miss-read your price "£300 - £400" to be US Dollars. If $$ were the case, as exchange rates go, more truth would've been spoken in jest.

I have my eye on the Vitamix TNC (Total Nutrition Centre): https://www.vitamix.co.uk/

Mainly I'd like to use it for health drinks.

Planning on getting one when I return to the U.K. The cost of buying one in Japan is scadalous!

Back
Top Bottom