Green Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraRan

Assistant Cook
I found, somewhere, once before about green peppers being 3 or 4 lobed and one is supposed to be sweeter than the other? Is that true and which is which?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on this subject.

New here so this might not even be posted to the right forum/discussion board and, if not, I apologize.

:)

I have never heard that but a 4 lobe pepper would have 25% more rib inside and ribs hold capsasin which is the hot stuff.

If your talking about bells I doubt the difference would be noticeable. could make a difference on a hotter pepper I guesss.

I've never heard that about bell peppers either, but only that red and yellow bell peppers are sweeter than green ones. I believe the red ones are the same as the green peppers, only left on the vine to ripen longer. The yellow ones are a hybrid, I think.

All bell peppers start out green. That is the unripe version. They turn whatever color they are going to become when they ripen (Red, yellow, orange, purple, etc).

My purple peppers started out purple, and turned red as they got older. I think yellow and orange ones turn red too, at least some of them.

I have heard the 3 lobe/4 lobe tale. There are different varieties of green peppers--maybe some are differently lobed?

My purple peppers started out purple, and turned red as they got older. I think yellow and orange ones turn red too, at least some of them.

This is surprising as every bell pepper I've ever grown started out green first.

Even at the grocery store, many times the yellow or orange ones will still have areas of green on them as if they weren't quite fully mature yet when picked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom