Does anyone do volunteer charity work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppi G. Koullias

Senior Cook
For two years I've been working at St Patrick's Church, Hove for homeless men. It has a night shelter built into the church and is covered by The Lorica Trust.

The Lorica Trust's website presently down, but you can Google St Pat's. It's on Wiki.

I help in the kitchens and sit with the men and listen to them. Sometimes I cry with them. That doesn't mean I'm a softy, because I'm tough and have had to be, but to show compassion is what I'm about because I want to see these guys living normal lives again one day - back with their families and their children.

Many have lived on the streets, many are alcoholics and are trying to get their lives mended. It's worthwhile, and I do it because someone has to.

Does anyone do volunteer work?

That's pretty big of you Poppi!
Kudo's to anybody going out thier way to help others.
I know you don't have much extra time to spare so that makes it even more generous.

Keep up the good work!

I do a similar kind of work Poppi. Three years ago, when our economy hit the skids, our small town of 39,000 was hit hard, as many towns were and are. A local woman founded something we call "Many Meals". Every Wed. we cook dinner at a local church for whoever wants to come, with no strings attached. It's simply geared for anyone in need....some are homeless, and more are in danger of becoming homeless. It's not important for us to know why they are there. Some people in town think we are being scammed by those who aren't truly in need, but I say the Guy upstairs is keeping tabs.
My hubby and I do most of the prep work for the meal, and our chopping knife skills have become dazzling. ;)

I used to work with a local animal rescue group but it just became too much. I'm too much of a softy when it come to dogs.

That's pretty big of you Poppi!
Kudo's to anybody going out thier way to help others.
I know you don't have much extra time to spare so that makes it even more generous.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks 4meandthem. It's very rewarding even though I only spend one night a week there, or an afternoon if I happen to get some time off and trundle over to Hove in my Land Rover Defender. I'd have rode over on my Harley, but last time, someone stole the panniers. They can't take much off my truck, it's built like a tank.

img_931826_0_a3014bf9864fa9054aac4b439a8babb3.jpg

I do a similar kind of work Poppi. Three years ago, when our economy hit the skids, our small town of 39,000 was hit hard, as many towns were and are. A local woman founded something we call "Many Meals". Every Wed. we cook dinner at a local church for whoever wants to come, with no strings attached. It's simply geared for anyone in need....some are homeless, and more are in danger of becoming homeless. It's not important for us to know why they are there. Some people in town think we are being scammed by those who aren't truly in need, but I say the Guy upstairs is keeping tabs.
My hubby and I do most of the prep work for the meal, and our chopping knife skills have become dazzling. ;)

Lol I bet your knife chops like a banshee! :LOL: But yes, the Guy upstairs keeps the tabs running while all your detractors chew the fat about "freeloaders" and "tax dodgers" just the same as over here.

It's admirable you and your hubby saw this need and worked hard in your community in setting up such a great community help. Over here there's something similar called "Meals on wheels", where volunteers get food out to people who have little to no mobility. Last winter I joined them for a few week using my truck as many parts of the Sussex Downs were snowed out. Meals on wheels is associated with WRVS.

I used to do a lot of volunteer work when I was younger. Now, my work hours are obscene so little time for too much else. :(

Oh tell me about work hours being so dreadful. That's why, actually after my reading the "Supermarket slobs" topic that I reakised I was chasing my tail, burning candle at both ends in having no time: none for George who was nannied at home, no free time to enjoy family life, just a means to end; work all hours, fill one's face, go to bed wake up at 5am, and start all over again 6 days a week. Something had to stop.

KathleenA, I hope you have a serious rethink about cutting some of your work hours down. You have a life outside your job, and though it's not for me to preech, but we only get one life and then our health goes down the pan.

I used to work with a local animal rescue group but it just became too much. I'm too much of a softy when it come to dogs.

I so love dogs. We've a Blue Rhoan spaniel and considered getting another at the local rescue dogs home in Brighton. We arrived to see (and hear!) some fifty dogs penned up and being a softy, I cried. It wasn just so hard seeing so many dogs, all unwanted or for whatever reason, and I knew there was no way I could ever work in a place like that.

Working among the men at St Pats has been a challenge. It made me completely re-assess my priorities. So many broken hearts, broken lives needing to be put back together agai. The average age of out fourteen guys is 35. We've some who are in the 20s, and older man of 60 something. They greet me with hugs and smiles. Some of them haven't bathed, some of them smell of booze (forbidden on the premises) but I hug them all same because to me they're Brother.

Yes, it was too hard with the dogs. I wanted to try and save them all but that is just not feasible and I knew I'd get too attached if I did the dog "fostering" until they got adopted.

Nice LandRover. That and a Harley and a Jag? You must have a huge garage!!

Yes, it was too hard with the dogs. I wanted to try and save them all but that is just not feasible and I knew I'd get too attached if I did the dog "fostering" until they got adopted.

Nice LandRover. That and a Harley and a Jag? You must have a huge garage!!

We have a converted barn to house our cars. My family left my country in 2008 when the world markets went crazy, but we sold the propertys to buy a mansion. The grounds are big, laid out to veg and fruit on one side and flowers and trees and an orchard on the other. and there we made good an old barn.

but the Land Rover, a "stick" alas not an auto, I keep it outside as it's nps being left out in all weathers.

My Jag. I've had it for some six months now. It's a premium luxury, but diesel. With diesel getting so expensive over here, I'm thinking of trading down to a smaller car. It's an auto 3 litre V6. But my partner has a 5 litre petrol, quite a biggun really.

Petrol prices are set to hike in January. You would have a heart attack if you knew how much it's going to rocket to. But my car is a company car, heavy on the insurance and environment tax, but it goes like a dream and i only keep it because i like fast cars. Drove it down to Kalymnos a few times but I only went and gotten a speeding ticket in Lucerne. Cost me 300 Swiss Francs. :blush:

My dog is 14 this December, getting old and gotten heart trouble too. He's fine being on heart tabs and diurectics but I'll be heartbroken when he goes. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom