calamari imbotiti (stuffed squid)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
calamari imbotiti a la buckytom

1 pound of baby squid, cleaned, with tentacles
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 small red pepper, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
dried oregano, basil, thyme, savory, and red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
olive oil
1 box of frozen peas

in a skillet on medium heat, soften the red pepper, onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil. finely chop the tentacles and add to skillet. add a pinch each of the dried herbs. when the onion begins to become translucent, add the breadcrumbs to toast in the oil, then set mixture aside to cool.
when cooled off, rinse the squid bodies inside and out, then stuff with the breadcrumb mixture. toothpick the bodies closed to hold in the stuffing.
add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a skillet, put on medium heat. place squid bodies in the oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of each of the herbs (except use a good coupla tablespoons of the red pepper flakes), and salt and pepper. sautee the squid bodies for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, then crumble in the frozen peas. cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until the peas are tender. if the peas are taking too long, remove the squid and finish the peas by themselves. you don't want to overcook the squid or it will become tough. when finished, drizzle a little evoo over top and serve with warm crusty italian bread

notes: next time, i would add some chopped proscuitto to the breadcumb mixture, and maybe a few chopped anchovies to the skillet before sauteeing the stuffed bodies, and eliminate the salt. also, i would remove the squid before putting in the frozen peas, and splash a little white wine to help the peas cook, then add the squid back in at the last minute.

copied and pasted and
will be tried the next time
I find squid at the store.

bumping for pdswife.

btw, i forgot to add that i would use fresh peas if possible. the frozen were just ok (they dried out a little), but fresh would be so much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom