11/4/10 Thursday's Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
The weather finally turned cool (64 now) and with a chilly north wind, so I started out my day with some of the split pea soup with all that gorgeous pork from the enormous ham bone.

Dinner tonight will be the chili I made yesterday. I had made it a little early so I put it in the fridge, but when I got hungry I saw the ham and Swiss cheese sitting there and made myself a nice ham & Swiss on rye toast.

The chili should be better today anyway.

What are you planning?:chef:

Another ham and swiss ob rye with tomatoes and avocado, at work...I'll probably be hungry when I get home, dunno about then.

It's cold and we're scheduled for about 30 hours of rain. Tonight is a comfort food night. I've taken a couple of individual chicken pies out of the freezer to defrost for tonight's dinner. SO makes a very tasty chicken pie and we have tweaked it over the years to make it even better.

I'm looking forward to it.

Dad's sesame/soy chicken. I have to decide if I'm going to do it on the BBQ or in the house. I'll just see what the mercury climbs to today.

Z, I just love how you always plan ahead, very wise indeed.

I did those huge "Dolly Parton" chicken breasts in the stove top smoker last night, and there's lots of meat left on the bone. Think I'll do chicken and dumplings for two tonight. It's so blamed hot today!! With the A/C going full blast, it will taste good even if it's not cold outside.

I am planning to make scalloped potatoes with hot dogs cut up in it (wish I had ham!), and probably broccoli.

:)Barbara

We have some leftover chicken so I'm making scalloped potatoes, field peas, tomato and cucumber salad and since I need to stay away from ice cream, I'll let dh have that and I'll have an apple for dessert.

Im not sure...I defrosted two 1" thick round steaks ( about 3 - 4" diameter). It is cold and raining out and I'm tired so it needs to be quick n easy, warming, and comforting....

Im not sure...I defrosted two 1" thick round steaks ( about 3 - 4" diameter). It is cold and raining out and I'm tired so it needs to be quick n easy, warming, and comforting....
I ended up doing my round steak last night like I would a pot roast, with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and gravy. It was very good on a cold night!

I ended up doing my round steak last night like I would a pot roast, with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and gravy. It was very good on a cold night!

Hmmm maybe I will to that. The enameled CI dutch oven is still out from last night. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks, KL. I'm retired so there's nothing better to do, plus I paid my rent for a couple of years cooking for a real grouch, so I started planning my meals to keep him happy. It was a good exercise and I ended up with quite a few new dishes.

( :LOL::LOL: ) ....kayelle, you're too funny. Is that an actual recipe posted here somewhere? I need to make those for my uncle chuck :ROFLMAO:

Nope, not a recipe Mollyanne. I just seasoned those humongous hooters with Cavender's Greek Seasoning, and used oak chips in my stovetop smoker, which I love, love, love, by the way !! They were so big, the lid just barely slid on!! What the heck is with it with huge bone in chicken breasts these days? I haven't seen huge bone in thighs that could belong to the same chicken. Wait.....after thinking about it, Dolly looks the same way.
:ohmy:

Hmmm maybe I will to that. The enameled CI dutch oven is still out from last night. Thanks for the inspiration!

It came out great!!! I put the 2 pieces of steak in top of halved-potatoes and quartered onions and then tossed in carrots and celery and drizzeled olive oil over it all and seasoned with salt and pepper and tossed it in the oven at 350 for 70 minutes.

Hi all,

I love reading what everyone is having for dinner. I'm having broiled marinated salmon (I wanted to grill it, but it's raining outside), roasted beets (first time) and baked sweet potatoes. I will also make a cucumber salad.

Bon Appetit!

It’s a cold, dreary and rainy day.

We had Lipton chicken noodle soup and grilled American & Swiss cheese sandwiches.

img_933468_0_dfe660089645c4d739eeadb88102b1da.jpg

Hi all,

I love reading what everyone is having for dinner. I'm having broiled marinated salmon (I wanted to grill it, but it's raining outside), roasted beets (first time) and baked sweet potatoes. I will also make a cucumber salad.

Bon Appetit!

Sounds good! If you ever are lucky enough to get fresh beets with their greens, cook up the greens too. They are delicious.:)

Back
Top Bottom