Leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
What are you folks doing with the turkey leftovers? We are already tired of turkey but today I made turkey and cheese casadias with peppers and onions. Served it with a big salad and fresh cooked carrots (the last of this years garden).
I still have about 2 lbs of white meat left and I was thinking about maybe some kind of stoganof type thing or maybe pasties (don't shoot me yuppers) just so that we change up from the usual sandwiches and pot pies. Any good ideas?

Bagging and Tagging, put it in the freezer for a month, then haul it back out for a meal or two. I, for one, am tired of turkey, for now!

LUMPIA

Asian/Filipino Spring Rolls

1 package egg rolls

1 small package mixed veggies

1 pound of cooked crumbled or shredded meat,of your choice.
Beef (Hamburger),Chicken,Pork,Turkey.

Small bowl of water

All purpose flour

Cook beef, crumble,drain fat,set aside.

Cook frozen veggies according to the package instuctions,drain set aside.

Cool both completely,then mix the meats and veggies together

Take egg rolls separate them,then place on a floured plate to keep from sticking.

Take one egg roll add the filling.No more then 2 Tablespoons per roll.

Roll up according to the wrappers suggestion,on the back.

Makes 20

Can be frozen well ahead of time in Zip lock bags.I'd make sure that they are dusted well with flour before freezing,keeps them from sticking together.

When you need them,no need to wait until they defrost.

Take them out deep fry at 350 degrees until crispy,light golden. You know when there done when they float to the top.

All meats can be omitted from this recipe,Cabbage,Fresh Spinach and such,make great alternatives.

Serve with rice

Dipping sauces can be

Soy Sweet and sour

Teriyaki

Tonkatsu Sauce
1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup of ketchup
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard'
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
dash of salt & pepper
Add all to a medium saucepan,whisk.
Bring it to a boil,reduce heat simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat.Place in a small bowl,cover and let sit at room temp until ready to serve.
Cover and refrigerate any leftovers,for up to a week.
Makes 1 cup appox.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept out enough meat to make a pt pie later this week. The carcass and wing/leg bones will be made into stock tomorrow evening. The reamining meat and 1/2 of the breast have been frozen for January.

LUMPIA

Asian/Filipino Spring Rolls

1 package egg rolls

1 small package mixed veggies

1 pound of cooked crumbled or shredded meat,of your choice.
Beef (Hamburger),Chicken,Pork,Turkey.

Munky,

I just copied this to the Ethnic Foods Forum so we wouldn't lose the recipe, I titled it "Asian Spring Rolls," let me know if you want a name change.

PrincessFiona60

Munky,

I just copied this to the Ethnic Foods Forum so we wouldn't lose the recipe, I titled it "Asian Spring Rolls," let me know if you want a name change.

PrincessFiona60

Ohhh LOL!!

Just pm'd you about that double post.

Thank you :)

Munky.

I boiled and picked the carcass...got lots of small pieces of meat, which I combined with the boiling broth and turkey drippings. It's in the freezer, waiting to come back as turkey and dumplings.
The other meat is also in the freezer...may end up as quesadillas, sandwich spread, fettucine Alfredo, pot pie, something oriental, gumbo...I had a friend who used to combine it with BBQ sauce for sandwiches, and they were pretty good.

The other meat is also in the freezer...may end up as quesadillas, sandwich spread, fettucine Alfredo, pot pie, something oriental, gumbo...I had a friend who used to combine it with BBQ sauce for sandwiches, and they were pretty good.

Thanks, I knew I was spelling quesadillas wrong but couldn't come up with the right spelling. I never took Spanish so a lot of words that are in our vernacular today escape me.

The egg rolls are a great idea. I have wrappers and shredded carrot in the fridge as we speak.

Last edited:
The day after the carcass was put in stock pot with veggies and made lots of great turkey broth, put in freezer

I tried something new with the leftover meat. I make this dish that is a big hit in the family "Meat roll " Usually made with hamburger sauted onion salt and pepper then add mashed potatoes making like a hash. then I use bisquik mix and roll out dough, spread the hash mix onto the dough roll it up like jelly roll and slice about 1/2 thick and bake -- but instead i put the turkey meat a carrot and a stalk of celery small onion lil poultry seasoning and grounded it up, added mashed potatoes and did the same as the hamburger. I froze it uncooked. Tonight we had them for dinner with some turkey gravy and it was great.

Turkey salad sandwiches.
Had a lot of leftover butternut squash, mixed it in with some turkey stock I made from the carcase, pureed with nutmeg, sherry, roasted red (or yellow) peppers. Sour cream added at the last minute.
Easy turkey ... well, is it pot pie or dumplings? Take the turkey, mix it with leftover gravy and stock (if you don't make stock, use grocery store and thicken with a slurry), add vegetables (a bag of frozen mixed will do) and put in a casserole dish. Top with grocery store dairy case biscuits (the kind you smack on the counter and peel out), place on top of the "stew". Bake more or less according to the biscuit/roll directions (remember, now the stew is already cooked, you're just cooking the biscuits). Dollop on a little butter here and there and serve with a salad.

Back
Top Bottom