How many watts should I get for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
i am getting an electric stand mixer and am shopping online. i do not know how much wattage to get.

there is a
325 watt...tilt-head...5 qt...10 speed...kitchen aide...for $300
or there is a
600 watt...tilt-head...6 qt...10 speed...slow start...wolf gang puck...for $300

so that got me to wondering...how many watts should i have?

i figure wolf's is more wattage because it is 1 qt larger of a mixing bowl.

is 325 really good wattage for family-sized batches of bread, cookie dough and the like?
if so, i would be happy with it, but i do not want to get it and be disappointed and have to go thru the process of returning it and shopping for another.
i want my 1st choice to be the right choice, and that is why i am coming to my DC friends for to light my path!

note...i figure i want kitchen aide brand.

also, im looking on bestbuy dot com. the best color for me so far on bestbuy dot come is the Pistachio color; however, i would like to find a really retro-looking green color...like avacado. pistachio is the closest i've found so far. any direction you can give me on that?

Last edited:
I would buy neither.

I would recommend a Kitchen Aid but one of higher wattage. They are a number of higher wattage models that range up to 600 watts. I don't think you necessarily need a 600 watts but should have more than 325 Watts.

I have heard negative reports about the Puck mixer.

andy, could you direct me to where i should go to shop for it (preferrably on line)? i am wanting to not go over 300. if over it, not very much over.

andy, could you direct me to where i should go to shop for it (preferrably on line)? i am wanting to not go over 300. if over it, not very much over.

I bought mine at Costco about 8 years ago for $240.00 (350 Watts). I use it to make big batches of bagels and it struggles a little with big batch of dough. That's why I suggested a higher wattage.

I haven't shopped online for one. It might be worth shopping locally and at the Costco type stores around the holidays.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I just picked up the KA 6qt 600 a couple of weeks ago for kneading pizza & bread dough. I like it so far.
One thing with larger capacity mixers is that they won't do a good job at kneading small batches.

BTW, that Amazon deal posted above for $299 is a good deal now. Plus, I believe you get a $50 rebate from KA on top of that.

Last edited:
Yesterday, at Khols (Department store chain), the 6-quart 575 watt Professional KA stand mixer was on sale - regularly $499, on sale for $399. I had a 15% off coupon ($60), and a $20 "Khols Cash" deduction, bringing the price down to $320. We decided to go ahead and get it. When they rang it up, I got the paperwork for a $50 rebate! So, my beautiful new (red) KA mixer will end up costing me $270! And yesterday morning, I didn't even know I wanted one! haha

Yesterday, at Khols (Department store chain), the 6-quart 575 watt Professional KA stand mixer was on sale - regularly $499, on sale for $399. I had a 15% off coupon ($60), and a $20 "Khols Cash" deduction, bringing the price down to $320. We decided to go ahead and get it. When they rang it up, I got the paperwork for a $50 rebate! So, my beautiful new (red) KA mixer will end up costing me $270! And yesterday morning, I didn't even know I wanted one! haha

Now THAT'S a deal!

I think what we must understand here is that the 575 watts is input power.

Meaning the power coming into the motor from the electrical outlet. It does not relate in any way to the torque power that the beaters exude.

You can't tell anything about a mixer's torque from input wattage except you are using up a great deal of electricity going into the mixer.

You take one mixer listed as 575 watts, and another listed as 1000 watts, and yet another mixer listed as 200 watts.

It is normal to think the 200 watt mixer is underpowered.

But depending on the motor and beater configuration and gearing, the 200 watt mixer may be the "most powerful" of them all.

The mixer's torque is another question entirely from wattage, and torque is the true POWER.

Now an expert motor engineer can tell you why this is true, but I can't. I just know it is true.

Last edited:
leolady, while all you say may be true, comparing mixers from the same manufacturer with different motors is a good way to judge relative power.

That may be true Andy, but the OP stated: "i am getting an electric stand mixer and am shopping online. i do not know how much wattage to get.

there is a
325 watt...tilt-head...5 qt...10 speed...kitchen aide...for $300
or there is a
600 watt...tilt-head...6 qt...10 speed...slow start...wolf gang puck...for $300

so that got me to wondering...how many watts should i have?

i figure wolf's is more wattage because it is 1 qt larger of a mixing bowl.

is 325 really good wattage for family-sized batches of bread, cookie dough and the like?
if so, i would be happy with it, but i do not want to get it and be disappointed and have to go thru the process of returning it and shopping for another.
i want my 1st choice to be the right choice, and that is why i am coming to my DC friends for to light my path!

note...i figure i want kitchen aide brand."

So I don't know what she means....whether she is comparing a KA with a Wolfgang Puck, or trying to decide between two KA mixers.

And..........I still question wattage as a comparison tool overall.

I own this exact machine. Last year when I ordered this I actually got a smaller model first and returned it after finding it didn't handle large batches of pizza dough gracefully. This (above model) has been great. Bread and cookie dough are no problem and the caviar color is gorgeous. I noticed there was also free shipping - deal.

how did you come up with these figures roadfix? Enquiring minds want to know.

how did you come up with these figures roadfix? Enquiring minds want to know.
I held the shaft at low speed to try to see if I can stop it from turning but I couldn't so I wildly guestimated the torque. If I can somehow attach my torque wrench to the shaft I'm sure I can come up with a somewhat accurate figure. But that figure is useless unless I have means of comparing it with another mixer. :)

The wattage actually doesn't tell you much about it's real power. Only experiencing it yourself will do that. But the Professional 600 is just great and can do everything you want. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom