"It's Time to Eat!"--How Do You Say it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Most of the time we just say, "It's time to eat," when it's time to eat, but we have used several variations. This got me to wondering how you call your family to the table.

Common ones for us (my family as I was growing up, and now when I call James) are "Soup's on," "Supper is ready," "It's on the table," "Supper time," "Dinner time," "Come and get it," "Come and get it while it's hot," or if it is a cold meal we sometimes jokingly say, "Come and get it while it's cold."

One of my favorites, growing up, was when my dad would say, "It's time to eat. Go wash your front feet!"

:)Barbara

It's evolved over the years with SO and me because I used to call her a little early.

It used to be,
"Dinner in two minutes!",
"OK"
"Dinner now"
"Is it really ready or will it be ready in a couple of minutes?",
"It's ready now."

Then,
"Dinner"
"Now?"
"Yup"

Then we had a little talk. I'll call you once. Come or don't.
"Dinner"

As a youngster is was "Come on In...It's supper time" ~~Wish I could her my momma call out to me from the back door one more time....

Today it's....Supper's ready......

Since our grandson and I watch "As time goes by" on pbs, we always laugh when the housekeeper says "dinner will be served at 6:23", or something as unusual a time. So when he is here I usually say something as ridiculous. Otherwise, I just say "Dinner time".

Great responses! I remember my Grandma Wells (all 5 feet of her) "hollering" for Grandpa and my uncle on the farm. She could have probably won one of those husband calling contests!

:)Barbara

currently, it's "dinner's ready", but i want to eat with a family that says "tutti a tavola a mangiare"!

currently, it's "dinner's ready", but i want to eat with a family that says "tutti a tavola a mangiare"!

I may start using this :LOL:

Right now I give Shrek a 20 minute warning, so he can hit the library or finish his card game on the computer. When it's ready I say, "Time to eat!" Sometimes, I just fill his plate and take it to him, especially if it's something special.

It's evolved over the years with SO and me because I used to call her a little early.

It used to be,
"Dinner in two minutes!",
"OK"
"Dinner now"
"Is it really ready or will it be ready in a couple of minutes?",
"It's ready now."

Then,
"Dinner"
"Now?"
"Yup"

Then we had a little talk. I'll call you once. Come or don't.
"Dinner"

This sounds familiar!

"BWANNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGg!!
MASTAH... DINNAH IS PREPARED!"

A free virtual jelly doughnut to whomever
guesses the movie from which it came.

Mom used to say, "Go wash your hands" and that meant it was suppertime. I use, "come and set the table" and then we all dive in!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom