What's up with lasagna pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
OK weird dilemma here.

I want a ceramic or stoneware lasagna pan (not glass or metal).

Most lasagna pans that I have found are 9x13 or larger, but lasagna noodles are only around 10 inches long (yes I've measured a noodle, don't judge me!:LOL:)

I like to make my lasagna tall rather than thin, so my ideal pan would be only 10.5 to 11 inches long and about 8-9 inches wide, 3 inches deep.

Is this too much to ask :LOL:?

I have found a couple pans that would work, but I don't like the idea of spending $50 plus dollars for a ceramic or stoneware pan.

Ok rant over. Just had to vent.

The noodles may be 10 inches when they're hard and dry, but they swell in every direction when they're cooked. Once cooked, they are about 12-14 inches long, hence the 9x13 pan that most folks have works out well.

What you should look for is a lasagna pan that 10.5 inches wide by 14-15 inches long. Lay the 20" noodles across the length rather than along the length.

good info here. I have a pan that the cooked noodles seem to fit in, but it is too shallow causing the lasagna to bubble over.

could a cooked noodle really gain up to 4 inches?

Andy, that method goes against my OCD :LOL: I'll have to try a 9x13 I think anything bigger would be too big for my current recipe. If I were a freestyle lasagna maker, the larger pan would probably work. I am not a freestyler anymore, I could never get the same results twice, and I am all about consistency!

OK, I'm nuts. I just went and boiled one lasagne noodle.

Before I started, it was 2 1/8 inches by 10 inches. After cooking it completely, it was 3 1/8 inches by 13 1/4 inches.

So use a 9x13 pan - it will be perfect!

Before I started, it was 2 1/8 inches by 10 inches. After cooking it completely, it was 3 1/8 inches by 13 1/4 inches.

Wow, that's a lot of getting bigger. I don't think my home made ones do that, or at least not as much.

That's not nuts, curious minds want to know, but since I was out of lasagne noodles and it's cold enough to freeze a polar bear, I didn't go to the store!

Now see I never would have thought that it would grow that much. I just assumed that the pan that I have used was smaller than a standard 9x13 (it is a ceramic without markings on it).

Thank you for the experiment! I was going to do this myself, just hadn't gotten around to it yet!

This is going to make things a whole lot easier. All I need to look for is a 9x13 ceramic or stoneware dish that is good and deep. I now have options, and I thought for sure that I would find the perfect size and it would be covered in a Christmas pattern or really gaudy flowers, :LOL:!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom