Planning cooking (e.g. roast dinner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
Does anyone plan a meal in terms of what needs to be done and when in order to make sure everything is ready more or less at the right time? Christmas dinner invariably involves a lot of swearing in the kitchen for the last 20 or so minutes of cooking as I struggle to get everything prepared. I need a game plan!

Does anyone plan a meal in terms of what needs to be done and when in order to make sure everything is ready more or less at the right time? Christmas dinner invariably involves a lot of swearing in the kitchen for the last 20 or so minutes of cooking as I struggle to get everything prepared. I need a game plan!

For big meals like holidays, I tend to do a lot of "prep" work the night before. I know, for example, that my dressing will bake when I remove the turkey. And rolls will go in when I remove the dressing. I know the timing of things and the order they will be prepared. Any cutting, peeling, etc. is done the night before. For example, I bake my breads for the dressing and tear it up the night before. I cut my onions and celery and cover it with plastic wrap for the following day. As the turkey bakes, I peel and cover potatoes in water. Etc.

I am rather forced to be efficient in the kitchen. My kitchen is tiny and there is little space so planning has to happen. :ermm: That being said, I even plan clean up. I can have several courses and the only dishes that will remain will be serving plates and diner's items.

I don't want to contemplate what I would do for a space to place a dishwasher. :glare:

Then again....I've learned to make do and have fun with it. It's rather like a puzzle at times. :chef:

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Things will stay warm if you keep it near the oven and covered. Don't feel that everything has to be ready at exactly the same time. You have a decent amount of time to deal with each item as need be. Fowl can be pulled and let sit for a while before you eat it. Another tip is to pull the veggies before they are cooked, cover and let them finish in their own steam while you get the other stuff ready. Start to get it ready a little earlier and figure out ways to keep it fresh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom