KitchenAid Stand Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkaylady

Senior Cook
I just bought an Artisan KitchenAid stand mixer on Macys.com and I am wondering if I will get enough use out of it.I have 2 food processors and have always used them so I have not felt the necessity for one of these but decided maybe I should finally have one. People who own one of these can you tell me what things you use it for?

I use it to make bread, cheesecake, cakes, cookies. Pretty much anything you would use a hand mixer for, you can use the stand mixer for. they usually come with a whisk attachment for whipping cream and egg whites, a paddle for mixing batters for cakes and such and a dough hook for bread doughs.

There is also a bunch of attachments you could buy that use the mixer motor for power. Meat grinder/sausage stuffer, ice cream maker, pasta maker, etc.

I use it to make bread, cheesecake, cakes, cookies. Pretty much anything you would use a hand mixer for, you can use the stand mixer for. they usually come with a whisk attachment for whipping cream and egg whites, a paddle for mixing batters for cakes and such and a dough hook for bread doughs.

There is also a bunch of attachments you could buy that use the mixer motor for power. Meat grinder/sausage stuffer, ice cream maker, pasta maker, etc.

I've been using a hand mixer for cakes and cookies but the whisk attachment will come in handy, I'm sure it will work better than the hand held for that. I'm planning to try baking more bread since I am gluten free I want to experiment with baking my own. It will be cheaper in the long run and this will make it easier to make.

As for the attachments, I will see as I go along. I already got that ice cream maker at a great price so don't need that one. I have a hand meat grinder so this one might be easier if and when I decide to spend more. I don't need the pasta maker. The slicer, shredder attachments might interest me. I use my food processor for that right now so I don't need it right away but maybe at some later date.

I'm trying to convince myself that I needed to spend the $$$ on this. :LOL:

My wife and I bought the big Kitchen Aid mixer -- the one that raises and lowers the bowl, not the one where the head tilts -- probably 16 or 17 years ago. To be honest, it doesn't get used all that often, but when we do use it, it simply does a great job. We've used it for breads, pizza dough, cookies and cakes, etc. I also bought the meat grider attachment with the sausage stuffer tube. That piece works great, and can be used for more than just grinding meat.

Even though it doesn't get used all that much, I'm glad we have it because when we do need it, nothing works better.

I primarily use Lucille (KA 600Pro) for bread, which I make once a week, sometimes twice. I also use it for grinding meat and other fun things with the attachments.

On occasion I do mix other things and have made butter, but bread was the primary driver.

I use mine almost weekly for bread, cheese cake and meringue. I have the grinder attachment if I'm making a large amount of chorizo, about twice a year and I grind my own hamburger.

You will know when to use it.

I just got mine in june and wished I had more time to use it.Bread is the obvious answer.It will however not improve your bakeing skills, trust me on that.It works great at mixing sausage and meat loafs.You know what? You have a really good question.I am drawing a total blank.I really do need to spend more time with it.I do know that I would'nt trade mine for a food processor.I actually have a very nice kitchenaid processor and it is among my least used appliances.

Like others, I also use mine for yeast doughs - but it's also great for cookie doughs. Tis the season....

How come you have two food proc ?

I bought one that was a small size. The I saw the large size on sale and bought it too. I use the small one mostly. The large one was supposed to be for dough and large amounts of batter, etc. With a food processor, though, you use the chopping blade to knead the dough. I not sure this is the best way. The dough hook on the KitchenAid should do a better job and the KitchenAid is more heavy duty than the food processor. I do like my food processors though because I use them whenever I need to grate, slice or chop any veggies for cooking or for soups. But mixing for cakes and cookies I have been using a hand mixer and a separate bowl.

I also have an old (but in brand new condition) stand mixer from the '60s by either Dormeyer or Hamilton Beach, can't remember because it is put away, too big to drag out when I want to bake. I will keep the KitchenAid out all the time.

I use my KA stand mixer when I am mixing doughs that are 3+ cups of flour anything less I would use my hand mixer.

I love my KA mixer!! As most have said, I use it for baking purposes but I also use it for mashed potatoes and other veggies that I like mashed (ex, sweet potatoes, squash, etc.) Anything you want mixed or mashed can go in the mixer. I find it's easier to clean as well...no blades to worry about cutting yourself on. And no switching blades for different textures...you control it all. And as others have said, you have the option to purchase additional attachments for pasta making, grinding, etc. I use it more during the holidays than any other time of year as DH is not a big sweets person and I love to bake things for wrok but with a little one on the way, I am anxious to use it more often in the future!!

I kept mine in the garage unused for several years. Three weeks ago I couldn't find ground chicken and chicken breasts were on sale so I pulled it out for that and I left it out on the counter. I have used it for so many things since then: bread, muffin batter, beating eggs, cookie dough. I got rid of my hand mixer and bread machine. I only used the bread machine to do the mixing of the dough anyhow. Crazy, huh?

I kept mine in the garage unused for several years. Three weeks ago I couldn't find ground chicken and chicken breasts were on sale so I pulled it out for that and I left it out on the counter. I have used it for so many things since then: bread, muffin batter, beating eggs, cookie dough. I got rid of my hand mixer and bread machine. I only used the bread machine to do the mixing of the dough anyhow. Crazy, huh?

Yes, I had been thinking of getting a bread machine but those things take up a lot of space and are only used for bread. I thought I was better off with the KA which can also be used for other things. I may get rid of my hand mixer too (I actually have three of them :LOL:)!

Yes, I had been thinking of getting a bread machine but those things take up a lot of space and are only used for bread. I thought I was better off with the KA which can also be used for other things. I may get rid of my hand mixer too (I actually have three of them :LOL:)!

Kitchen Gadget Freaks Unite!!! I even have one that is specific for making peanut butter.:LOL:

I have so many appliances, I have no room for them all!

I use the emersion blender and the hand mixer at the stove on occasion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom