Experimenting with Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Count Omulis

Assistant Cook
So what I am wanting to do is take a peanut butter cookie recipe and add banana for a wonderful treat (then maybe dip in chocolate...but lets not get too excited yet). What I was wanting to know (since I am a cook by nature, not a baker...or a chemist) is do i need to make any adjustments to the original cookie recipe to account for the extra moisture/sugars/starches/whatever else comes with a banana in the recipe? or will adding a banana or two affect the cookie that much?

The recipe is just a standard PB cookie recipe, sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder and soda, brown sugar, peanut butter, egg, and milk (i believe thats all, the recipe is not right in front of me at the moment, so I'm going off memory)

Thanks all, Ill let you know how they turned out when the project is done.

Substitutions or additions to cookie recipes will almost always result in failure. The balance between ingredients is critical. Your best bet would be to Google for peanut butter banana cookies recipe and see if you can find one using the ingredients you want.

Bananas are very moist, can't imagine them in a cookie dough. You might have more luck with a bar type recipe with ingredients layered then cut into bars.

For instance, adding moist bananas would cause your cookie to spread out in a big puddle.

I'm sure the other DCers here can help you find a recipe that will taste the way you want, but I recommend you don't waste your time and ingredients, making up your own cookie recipe.

Last edited:
I just know I've seen a recipe for banana cookies. I would use that, add some peanut butter chips to it, then dip in chocolate. OR, as long as you're considering dipping, you could just make the banana cookies, melt chocolate AND peanut butter chips together and dip them in that. It sounds just divine, great idea for a cookie!

So what I am wanting to do is take a peanut butter cookie recipe and add banana for a wonderful treat (then maybe dip in chocolate...but lets not get too excited yet). What I was wanting to know (since I am a cook by nature, not a baker...or a chemist) is do i need to make any adjustments to the original cookie recipe to account for the extra moisture/sugars/starches/whatever else comes with a banana in the recipe? or will adding a banana or two affect the cookie that much?

The recipe is just a standard PB cookie recipe, sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder and soda, brown sugar, peanut butter, egg, and milk (i believe thats all, the recipe is not right in front of me at the moment, so I'm going off memory)

Thanks all, Ill let you know how they turned out when the project is done.

My recommendation would be to make your PB cookies according to your recipe. While they are baking, make a banana custard. When the cookies are done to a soft/chewy state, remove them from the oven. Place a dollop of the banana custard on top of one cookie, and place a second cookie on top, pinching the edges together to make a cookie/banana pie.
Drizzle melted chocolate over the top.

Second idea: Make your PB cookies with a thumbprint in the middle. Place banana custard into the thumbprint and dip in melted chocolate, or drizzle over the top.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom