Sciatica, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Something I've suffered from for decades (inherited, both my mom and her father). I found a couple of things in the past year that helped me enormously, so thought I'd share.

First of all, Pilates. I've had several instructors, and different ones had different style, but I swear by this class taken only once a week. I'm sore the next day, but the sciatica is eased.

The latest makes me feel so stupid. Those sneakers with the thick, rocker bottom. The brand I bought are Shape Ups, but there are many on the market. They look ridiculous. But I asked at my gym if anyone'd bought a pair, and one of the instructors said a nurse friend of her swore by them for leg pain. So I went to the hospital and asked, and got the same answer, then actually asked on the street when I'd see someone wearing a pair. So I bought a pair and then had to buy a second pair. Maybe it's just the extra cushioning, but the sciatic pain has lessened by so much I would not have believed it possible.

The usual, that is to say stretches and a heating pad, are OK, but the pilates and those sneakers really have made a difference in my life.

Something I've suffered from for decades (inherited, both my mom and her father). I found a couple of things in the past year that helped me enormously, so thought I'd share.

First of all, Pilates. I've had several instructors, and different ones had different style, but I swear by this class taken only once a week. I'm sore the next day, but the sciatica is eased.

The latest makes me feel so stupid. Those sneakers with the thick, rocker bottom. The brand I bought are Shape Ups, but there are many on the market. They look ridiculous. But I asked at my gym if anyone'd bought a pair, and one of the instructors said a nurse friend of her swore by them for leg pain. So I went to the hospital and asked, and got the same answer, then actually asked on the street when I'd see someone wearing a pair. So I bought a pair and then had to buy a second pair. Maybe it's just the extra cushioning, but the sciatic pain has lessened by so much I would not have believed it possible.

The usual, that is to say stretches and a heating pad, are OK, but the pilates and those sneakers really have made a difference in my life.

I have sciatica on the right...bought my first pair of Shape-ups to try out at work...by the next weekend I had two pair for work and another pair for shopping. I swear by them and my testimony led many others to thank me for their buying them, too! They are great!:)

Are those the Sketcher sneakers endorsed by Joe Montana? How come they don't show him actually wearing a pair?

I just ordered the walking sandal online thanks to your tips, Claire and PF. Living where I do, I seldom wear anything but sandals, so I'm looking forward to getting them, and they don't look half bad either!

I just ordered the walking sandal online thanks to your tips, Claire and PF. Living where I do, I seldom wear anything but sandals, so I'm looking forward to getting them, and they don't look half bad either!

One warning, the first couple of times wearing them, take it easy, until you get your balance, they are different to walk in. Another thing, since you are walking correctly, you will find muscle aches where you didn't think you had muscles, they go away with use.:LOL:

Going down steps is a bit tricky too, just take it easy! Okay, that was three things...I hope you like them!

I love Pilates! I did it faithfully for several years and have kind of fallen off the track, but since it's that time of year for new beginnings it is on the top of my list to start!

I used to make my mom get on the floor with me on Sunday's when I went to visit and do the stretches and stuff with me. =P She complained loudly but would always call a couple days later and say how good she still felt ... don't you love when all the pills in the world won't fix you like making a life-style change will?

Ever tried epidural shots for the sciatica Claire? They made it go away permanently for several people I know, including me.

I'm so glad to hear about the shoes. I have cramping in my lower legs when I walk any distance. It has become so bad that just going to the mailbox starts the cramping before I get back to my apartment. I've thought about starting a routine of walking to the bus stop a couple of times a day just to get my circulation going.

When I saw these shoes, I figured they would either be great or impossible. Now I think I'll go ahead a get a pair. Just the amount of walking I do around the apartment should do me some good. Especially just to get used to enough to walk around outside.

I'm so glad to hear about the shoes. I have cramping in my lower legs when I walk any distance. It has become so bad that just going to the mailbox starts the cramping before I get back to my apartment. I've thought about starting a routine of walking to the bus stop a couple of times a day just to get my circulation going.

When I saw these shoes, I figured they would either be great or impossible. Now I think I'll go ahead a get a pair. Just the amount of walking I do around the apartment should do me some good. Especially just to get used to enough to walk around outside.

I really like the idea of walking to the mailbox a few times a day, pretty soon you'll be walking farther each day. I'm a huge advocate of walking, it really helps with multiple problems. I'm enjoying my dayshifts, seeing people walking in the hallways, I'm so used to seeing them laying in bed.:)

Absolutely, Fiona. A few people I know are buying (or have already) them on my recommendation, and I always tell them to wear them for a day or two around the house, because they do re-distribute your weight and posture. The first few times you put them on, it helps to do the warm up stretches that come with the shoes. But the first few times you have a tendency to sort of feel like you're falling over on your back. Oh, and if you don't already, use the handrail the first few times you use them on stairs. My husband and one of my best friends bought them and also swear by them.

I wore my work ones to my doctor appointment this morning...he was pleased to see me wearing them. He wasn't so pleased about my bloodwork on monday...I ended up with another med.

Hi to all, can't help wondering if anybody saw my post about getting epidural shots for alleviating/curing sciatic problems. It appears to be a slightly more permanent solution than Sketcher's, maybe even worth a comment.

Back
Top Bottom