I Quit!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
After 39 years, I'm calling it quits! On smoking, that is.

I'm looking for support and a place to type out my "Arrrrgh" moments , those of you who have battled the tobacco monster know what I'm talking about...those of you who haven't, I hope to be an inspiration.

If you don't smoke and never have...join in and watch the addicts bounce off the walls:LOL:

I put out my last cigarette at Midnight, last night. I started week two of the Chantix this morning. So far, not too bad...I have odd moments of not knowing what to do with my hands.

I may have to just leave the house today...spending money should keep me busy:ROFLMAO: Spending Shrek's money would be even better.:innocent:

So here, I am...a big step away from who I was yesterday. I will need your help.

Way to go PF! You can do it!!!!!!!!

I quit using Chantix and it worked out really well for me. Here are a few tips.

• After 3 days, your symptoms are purely psychological because your physical addiction has passed.
  • People have smoking triggers. Learn what your triggers are.
    • Meals
    • Driving
    • coffee
    • alcohol
  • Once you identify your triggers and you have the urge to smoke wait wait 60 seconds to see if the urge passes.

Good luck, PF! Do you crochet or knit? If so, buy a kit, start a project. It will keep your hands busy.

Way to go PF! You can do it!!!!!!!!

I quit using Chantix and it worked out really well for me. Here are a few tips.

• After 3 days, your symptoms are purely psychological because your physical addiction has passed.
  • People have smoking triggers. Learn what your triggers are.
    • Meals
    • Driving
    • coffee
    • alcohol
  • Once you identify your triggers and you have the urge to smoke wait wait 60 seconds to see if the urge passes.

Rubbing or Drinking...I don't drink, but I am surrounded by the other at work:ROFLMAO:

I signed up with the Support from Chantix. I'm expecting my first phone call tonight.

Thanks .40, I appreciate the help!

Good luck, PF! Do you crochet or knit? If so, buy a kit, start a project. It will keep your hands busy.

Thanks, Z! I told you it would be good...:LOL: unfortunately I do not knit, crochet, etc. I read,write, play online and cook...when I'm not at work. I do have another lesson plan I need to finish up. :wacko:

I have a stash of cinnamon sticks and lemon drops.

Thanks, Z! I told you it would be good...:LOL: unfortunately I do not knit, crochet, etc. I read,write, play online and cook...when I'm not at work. I do have another lesson plan I need to finish up. :wacko:

I have a stash of cinnamon sticks and lemon drops.

Yeah, hard candies will help. It takes care of the oral fixation part.:LOL:

Since you work in a medical facility, I know you have to go outside to smoke. Go anyway. Take your Kindle with you, enjoy the fresh air.

Last edited:
Since you work in a medical facility, I know you have to go outside to smoke. Go anyway. Take your Kindle with you, enjoy the fresh air.

We were always relegated to the back of the building behind the trash cans...now I can go sit in the Rose Garden in front of the Admins office:LOL:

It takes 3 minutes to walk all around the building...if I include the hospital, it should make it 10 minutes...I can do that in a 15 minute break time.:)

Brava, PF! Good luck.

Let me know if I can help, I have quit smoking a number of times so I must be an expert. Smoke-free since 1977.

Brava, PF! Good luck.

Let me know if I can help, I have quit smoking a number of times so I must be an expert. Smoke-free since 1977.

Oh I know that feeling, I'm an expert too...just haven't managed to complete the finale!

Thanks, Andy...I'll be screaming for help.:LOL:

:clap:PF darlin', I'll be watching this thread closely wanting to be inspired. I wish you the very best!!

Thanks Kayelle...had a bad moment when I finished lunch. But it was just a moment...I got busy and it went away.

I found mint LifeSavers were a big help in getting over a craving for a smoke.

This wasn't really a craving...I'm not getting those. More like, I put away my dishes and was a bit disoriented about what came next...once I recognized what I was looking for (a cigarette pack and lighter) I dismissed it, effectively.:)

you are very brave. i have been smoking for 54 years. i can't even imagine quitting. i have cut in half in last few months. i have one of those little dealies to put a half smoked one in. fire goes out, and i can smoke it latter. each time i do that it cuts one smoke from the agenda. best of luck!!!

you are very brave. i have been smoking for 54 years. i can't even imagine quitting. i have cut in half in last few months. i have one of those little dealies to put a half smoked one in. fire goes out, and i can smoke it latter. each time i do that it cuts one smoke from the agenda. best of luck!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, Babe! :)

I have a beautiful, huge Ashtray for sale...Tiara glassware, Lotus flower design in blue...actually I don't think I can get rid of it.:wacko:

I am so proud of you! James stopped smoking around 6 or 7 years ago and he doesn't get sick with upper respiratory ailments nearly as much. I will be praying for you and rooting you on with everyone else! James was easy (for me), but my best friend quit 7 months ago and she was not as easy! I was with her every day while she was going through it, and it was a roller coaster ride!

James really didn't have a lot of problems quitting. He has a dream now and then where he is smoking. I think the hardest part of quitting, for him, is being left out. He is at school all week, and it seems the only time the other students really get together in the evenings is to go outside and smoke. He is super social and really needs other people, so that has been hard on him. But he has no desire to start smoking again.

Again, I am so glad you have taken this step, and I am behind you all the way!

Love ya! :)Barbara

Thank you Barbara! I appreciate the support! Now I have to talk Shrek into taking me to Costco...need to walk around.

Thank you Barbara! I appreciate the support! Now I have to talk Shrek into taking me to Costco...need to walk around.
Well be careful--I happen to know that it is not possible to walk out of Costco without spending at least $100. LOL My mom and I were convinced that if all we went in and got was a box of Q-tips, it would still come to over $100! It seems to be a rule there!

:LOL:Barbara

Good Luck!!!! One year I was moving ... and three different households invited us to stay with them, day here and there, over the move. Usually this is a GOOD thing! Haha! All three households had someone who was in the process of stopping. My husband and I thought we'd go crazy. All households would have had hurt feelings had we chosen to stay in a hotel and meet for a meal or drinks at a restaurant. But, heaven forbid, don't visit someone who is trying to stop smoking. One was my father, and he was successful. The other two people I've lost track of, so don't know if they were or not. Two of the three had the patch (Dad used it, successfully), but one thought the patch couldn't stop him and got really, really sick with nicotine overdose.

The real thing is that you have to be doing it for you; not your spouse, your children, your friends. Even then it is very hard.

I never started that bad habit (believe me, I have my own vice) because I watched Mom stop when I was 12 and decided, never.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you; good luck.

Oh, yes, it helped that Daddy is skinny, and he kept a jar of candy nearby.

Back
Top Bottom