OK, I think I'll kill my husband ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Or at least slap him silly. In our town we have a very old-school, Polish Catholic priest. He has a reputation for being very, very, very strict. Well, we don't know him, we're fallen-away Catholics, but we do live in back of the church, and know when he's the priest holding mass because it is something like 90 minutes long. Well, a friend of ours who is devout said she'd offered to make him dinner. Hubby said he'd met the man, and greeted him in Polish (probably the only words he knows in the language). She asked what she could make. By the end of the conversation my husband had volunteered us to go to the dinner, then asked her to invite him here for dinner!. Aitch ee double hockey sticks. I'd already recommended frozen pierogies from a local store, and a cucumber salad. If this comes to pass, any easy-peasy suggestions?

Make something special that relates to your background or your hubby's. The priest has eaten lots of Polish food. :LOL:

Last edited:
Or at least slap him silly. In our town we have a very old-school, Polish Catholic priest. He has a reputation for being very, very, very strict. Well, we don't know him, we're fallen-away Catholics, but we do live in back of the church, and know when he's the priest holding mass because it is something like 90 minutes long. Well, a friend of ours who is devout said she'd offered to make him dinner. Hubby said he'd met the man, and greeted him in Polish (probably the only words he knows in the language). She asked what she could make. By the end of the conversation my husband had volunteered us to go to the dinner, then asked her to invite him here for dinner!. Aitch ee double hockey sticks. I'd already recommended frozen pierogies from a local store, and a cucumber salad. If this comes to pass, any easy-peasy suggestions?

You could always try to pass off DH as Roast Beast...:ROFLMAO:

A hearty bowl of soup and some nice crusty rolls translates to any language.

My MIL had the priest over for dinner on lots of occasions.She served peas and when he asked for them I handed them saying..................Peas be with you!

You just can't pass up a opportunity like that!

He may just appreciate the wine as much as the meal IMHO.

Last edited:
Oh, I just noticed that someone from Poland submitted a recipe for Dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms. Maybe that is your menu!

Actually, I had some ingredients on hand for a big bowl of cabbage type soup (actually, my take on what in Hawaii was called Portuguese bean soup) that is really very eastern European. I guess I got a little freaked because if this actually happens it is an old-worldy, strict, priest. I was giving this friend hints on what to buy and prepare for him, then hubby offered to have them over. It may never happen (hope!). I certainly don't want to spend hours listening to what a sinner I am. I'v met and hosted a number of Catholic priests in my life, but this guy really has a reputation for being, well, a hard patootie.

My inlaws are Polish. My mother in law makes a cabbage roll casserole. It is basically alll the ingredients of cabbage rolls, but the cabbabge is shredded and mixed in with the rice and beef. Then the whole thing is baked. She serves a bit of tomato sauce on the side if people want to put some on. It is pretty good.

Zhiara, that would be my normal thing. Over the years, I've concluded that it is best to not try to match some one's native cuisine. One reason I'm thinking of hanging my husband is that he promised a real Polish dinner. Huh? Given a choice I'd make some tourtiere, lasagna, or fancy stew (boeuf bourginion or coq au vin) and salads and a desert, and call it good. No way am I going to be able to match an old priest's mother's cooking. It may never happen. I can only wish, but I rather suspect this is going to happen. I think I'll find a way to change the dinner to the beef or chicken dishes mentioned above. Roll of eyes. Like I said, may never happen, but knowing the folk involved it might very well.

Oh, dearie me (what I write when my brain is swearing). It just occurred to me that I've been thinking of a cabbage roll dinner! Perfect answer! I can invite the priest along with my regular friends!

I'm so happy. Sometimes you need to just think aloud (or on computer)! Happy, happy girl. Husband will live for another day!

i think you may end up being surprised, claire. hard-patootied priests are often the exact opposite when not on the altar or teaching school. at least they're supposed to be.

i would go with a baked ham, if you want to go polish. and see if you can get/make cruschiki or a babka.

Claire, you might want to check out the Bigos thread and I think maybe there is another where you don't wrap the little guamkis up, but put the stuffing into a pot with shredded cabbage. Lots less work, same flavor.

I wouldn't make anything Polish as he probably gets alot of polish food, I would make a nice roasted chicken andpotatoes, veggies a couple different ones just in case he didn't like one . Or even stuffeed boneless chicken breast. or Pot roast, I feel it like the movie that tom hanks did - stuck on the island and living on seafood then when he gets rescued he given more seafood where maybe a hamburger he really wanted.
I wouldn't give him frozen peoriges as he would be used to the homemade one and they would be rubber to him. I had that experience.

Back
Top Bottom