ISO robust "tomato flavor" tomato soup recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acc2020

Assistant Cook
I,m looking for a tomato soup recipe which tastes like tomato but only made from fresh ingediants.

Been trying for ages but cant seem to get that intense tomato flavour.

I know that tomato paste is used in most recipes , but what did our ancestors use prior to canned tomato paste?

I'm not big on tomato soup so i've never tempted this one, but I did some looking around for recipes that call fresh tomatoes instead of canned diced...or canned over all.
Out of all the recipes I went through this one looks most legit and makes the most sense to me

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

i would leave out the cloves and instead of running it through a mill, i'd probably skin the tomatoes, seed them and use them that way and then i'd just take my stick blender to it and puree the life out of it..and a vegetable stock instead of chicken.

Hope that helps

If it is winter for you, it will be hard to get a tomato with intense flavor. Try roasting some tomatoes to intensify the flavor prior to making your soup. Even though it is cold and tomatoes seem a bit anemic, I've had good luck with roasting to get the last bit of sunshine from them.

If it is winter for you, it will be hard to get a tomato with intense flavor. Try roasting some tomatoes to intensify the flavor prior to making your soup. Even though it is cold and tomatoes seem a bit anemic, I've had good luck with roasting to get the last bit of sunshine from them.

I just came to this thread to say the same thing as Kathleen. I would also add, to purchase Roma tomatoes, then do your roasting. However, this will work much better in the summer.

I,m looking for a tomato soup recipe which tastes like tomato but only made from fresh ingediants.

Been trying for ages but cant seem to get that intense tomato flavour.

I know that tomato paste is used in most recipes , but what did our ancestors use prior to canned tomato paste?

It wasn't too long ago I was looking for the same answer.
I got it here. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/tnt-summer-tomato-soup-59665.html

It's kind of a long thread to read. The outcome of that recipe was and is awesome and well worth the effort. Follow Kadesma's directions.. Mine weren't all that.

I lost the original picture while editing it. It was a beauty to. Taught me to back things up.

Good luck.

Munky.

I agree with Kathleen and Chef June... I always oven roast my tomatoes (Roma's) as if I was oven drying them, I love the intense tomatoey (is that a word:LOL:) flavor I get from doing it that way... :):):)

I would rehydrate some sundried tomatoes and puree, then add to the soup. They are not techincally fresh, but were once and can still be considered raw, I suppose.

I, too would either roast winter grocery store tomatoes or use canned. My problem with canned tomato soup is that they have too high a carb count for my husband. Tomato soup shouldn't need sugar; don't get me wrong, I used tomato paste to thicken some sauces and chilies, but soup? In some cases you're better off heating some V8 and adding seasonings to taste. I use V8 as a shortcut for many tomato based recipes, especially in the winter.

I, too would either roast winter grocery store tomatoes or use canned. My problem with canned tomato soup is that they have too high a carb count for my husband. Tomato soup shouldn't need sugar; don't get me wrong, I used tomato paste to thicken some sauces and chilies, but soup? In some cases you're better off heating some V8 and adding seasonings to taste. I use V8 as a shortcut for many tomato based recipes, especially in the winter.

Like what, Claire? I love the flavor of V8, or even tomato juice.

Now that you mention it, I bet it would make a great soup base for Gazpacho.:chef:

Zhizara, I sometimes use V8 as the liquid for a pot roast, it's something my mother had always done when we were kids... It gives the gravy a beautiful flavor... :):):)

Zhizara, I sometimes use V8 as the liquid for a pot roast, it's something my mother had always done when we were kids... It gives the gravy a beautiful flavor... :):):)

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. Sneaky tricks that WOW. I've added this one to my steno book that I keep near the computer just for little tips and tricks like this one. I'll try it soon.:chef:

V8 is also a great base for a midwestern style chili. As far as tomato flavor goes, if you want to get as close as possible to the flavor of fresh tomatoes, use canned whole tomatoes, tomato puree, and crushed tomato. Tomato Sauce, stewed tomatoes, many diced tomatoes, and tomato paste have other herbs and spices added to them.

I almost always used canned products in the winter time as the tomatoes are fully ripened, where the tomatoes from the store are pretty flavorless, unless you purchase the cherry or grape tomatoes. The canned San Marzano tomatoes taste very good, but are quite pricey.

If yo want a very creamy, French style tomato soup, I just posted a recipe that came out very good for me.

Good luck

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

To make tomato soup taste like real tomato , but use only fresh ingredients you will have to wait untill you have fresh ripe tomato. They have to be ripen on the plant. Not sure about growing season elswhere, not sure where you are, but here in MN, you'd have to wait till august, maybe even september. Roasting definetely helps, I would recomend to roast even in the summer, even the most ripen tomato.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom