Worst Kitchen Gadgets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjim68

Head Chef
After a current thread concerning the garlic press, which appears to have no defenders, I got to wondering about other kitchen gadgets we accumulate that seem to serve no purpose or do their job poorly. One other device in my once used drawer is an herb grinder, looking something like a small cheese grater. I used it once, and have not touched it since.

I have a gadget that is supposed to mince herbs - you roll it back and forth over the herbs and the little sharp wheels turn to mince the herbs. It hasn't proved very helpful to me. I wish it had another use.

Slap Chop. All I wanted was one of those cheap glass jars with a simple screw on lid and a blade attached to a simple plunger. Mom had one, I used to have one. It was cheap and it worked. HAH!

The Slap Chopper came out and although it was $15 I had to have it. What a waste of money. The first chop ended up with the blades completely stuck in an onion half. It was very difficult to get the onion out from between the blades without cutting myself. Then further chopping ended up with some pieces untouched around the edges. Some were practically liquid and others in chunks. It was horrible to clean and definitely dangerous. Those blades are sharp. It sits unused in a cabinet.

I have a gadget that is supposed to mince herbs - you roll it back and forth over the herbs and the little sharp wheels turn to mince the herbs. It hasn't proved very helpful to me. I wish it had another use.

Licia, that one is great for cutting home made noodles.:)

Josie

I've got something in a box I don't even know what it's used for. I moved it from one house to another though. Does that count?
:wacko:

Zhizara, I know exactly what kind of device you are talking about and I have 2 of them. One for chopping walnuts and the other for pecans. I keep them in the freezer and I always have chopped nuts or nuts ready to be chopped. I've had mine forever, but I've seen them at my area Ace hardware store.

As for all the other devices, I follow Alton Brown's philosophy...nothing, except a fire extinguisher, should be a "unitasker." I've discovered all manner of extra uses for many of my kitchen tools.

I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer that sits unused in my cabinet. I either do it with a paring knife or use an apple wedger depending on what I'm doing with the apples.

the one touch can opener that was sold widely about five years ago. useless, took more time to open a can than the hand one. been long gone in the garbage. i have learned to toss if they don't work.

My garlic press is the only truly useless gadget in my kitchen. I've found a use for everything else I've bought, but I rarely buy gadgets unless I know they're going to work for me. My twisty garlic mincer was a rare purchase but has worked out sooooooo well.

I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer that sits unused in my cabinet. I either do it with a paring knife or use an apple wedger depending on what I'm doing with the apples.
Oh I forgot about that. I had someone give me theirs when they were moving and they were offloading some unwanted gadgets. I've never used it because I learned out to use a paring knife when I was 6 and it's much faster and easier to clean. :LOL:

OH! Forgot one more....(I never think about the things I don't use).

I'm probably alone on this one, but, I H-A-T-E my food processor. My mother has a Cuisinart that she's had since sometime shortly after I was born and it works like a champ. I cook with all fresh veggies....no frozen or canned for me. I spend a lot of time chopping and prepping veggies as a result. So I thought I'd benefit from having a food processor and we bought one of those "combo" machines with a blender, a grinder and a food processor.

I hate using it. I can't figure out all the blades. When I do get it assembled correctly it doesn't work the way it's supposed to work, and it takes me 3 times longer to clean up. Since we moved it stays in a box under my kitchen sink. Useless useless useless....

A mezzaluna didn't do much for me.
I thought I would let my daughter use it but no.

Big huge grill tools were a gift never used.

Fish grill basket never used.

A mezzaluna didn't do much for me.

I didn't know what that was and had to google it. I have one of those too that I never use. Didn't know what it was supposed to be used for so it sits in my drawer.

I also have a blender/food processor that doesn't get used. I'm going to get rid of it. The combo appliances like that seem to not do either job well. I have a stick blender that does the blending and a mini food chopper attachment to my mixer that does most of my other stuff. I got one of those chop wizards and LOVE IT!

I have an apple corer too. It's too much trouble to set up to do just enough apples for a pie but for a load of apples to can or make applesauce I love it. Now I keep it with my canning supplies. I also use it for pears when we can get them.

I'm a gadget queen and I'm not talking about all the useless junk in my drawers...LOL!

I'm with you. Some shop for shoes for a lift: I shop for gadgets. Life is just easier with my thumb peeler. It's a little orange gizmo that scores the orange skins and then has a tab to help you start the peeling process. A good rinse and ready to use again! I have no idea why it never caught on. :LOL:

As for worthless gadgets...maybe the pickle picker. No...it's kind of snazzy too.

~Kathleen

I'm with you. Some shop for shoes for a lift: I shop for gadgets. Life is just easier with my thumb peeler. It's a little orange gizmo that scores the orange skins and then has a tab to help you start the peeling process. A good rinse and ready to use again! I have no idea why it never caught on. :LOL:

As for worthless gadgets...maybe the pickle picker. No...it's kind of snazzy too.

~Kathleen

I'm in love with my Chili Red milkshake machine...it's a beauty...although it's been a while.:ermm:

I have 4 drawers of utensils and gadgets. And I love my Good Grips food chopper.

the one touch can opener that was sold widely about five years ago. useless, took more time to open a can than the hand one. been long gone in the garbage. i have learned to toss if they don't work.
Mine went into the trash too!

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom