Need Help with Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if i had to go with cooked fish for sushi, it would be shrimp, eel, and/or crab.

but if i had my choice, it would be raw - yellowtail, otoro tuna, mackerel (but it has to be super fresh), octopus, and red clam.

you'd be surprised at how it tastes.

if i served you a small slice and didn't tell you what it was, i'll bet you'd like it. very mild, slightly sweet taste - firm texture; no fish taste or gushy texture anywhere about.

it's good marinated and grilled, too!

buckytom said:

if i served you a small slice and didn't tell you what it was, i'll bet you'd like it. very mild, slightly sweet taste - firm texture; no fish taste or gushy texture anywhere about.

Love octopus. They are delicious if not overcooked, otherwise they taste like a Bandaid.

They are so smart, and I feel so guilty anytime I eat some. Fondly remembering Paul, the octopus who predicted all the World Cup winners, then died shortly afterward. There is a memorial to him at his aquarium in Germany. He actually got death threats!

It is such a treat to see them when we go snorkeling. Beautiful creatures!

i heard he ended up as "tako-su". :cool:

lol, j/k.

kathleen, you have to have makerel caught and frozen, then defrosted and served a.s.a.p.. otherwise, it's too strong. but fresh, it's delicious.

Okay, but don't tell me...maybe even after for about 5 years...:huh:

Okay, but don't tell me...maybe even after for about 5 years...:huh:

He's right, PF. You would like it, I think. It is wonderful grilled too.

I'd likely try it again but I've had it several times in several ways. The only other sea creature I've not enjoyed was sea urchin...which seemed to taste like vinyl smells. :ermm:

He's right, PF. You would like it, I think. It is wonderful grilled too.

I'd likely try it again but I've had it several times in several ways. The only other sea creature I've not enjoyed was sea urchin...which seemed to taste like vinyl smells. :ermm:

I'm sure, just don't tell me...:LOL: There's some things I just can't wrap my mind around. I won't eat snake on purpose, either.

...sea creature I've not enjoyed was sea urchin...which seemed to taste like vinyl smells. :ermm:

I've tried uni (sea urchin gonads), twice. The first time, I thought; "this must be bad"...:sick:...the second time, I gave up and thought it's just something my taste-buds won't ever like. Bitter and nasty! :rolleyes: I've always heard that you either love uni or hate it.

Uni (oo-nee) is the Japanese name for the edible part of the Sea Urchin. While colloquially referred to as the roe (eggs), uni is actually the animal's gonads (which produce the milt or roe).
The Sushi FAQ - Sushi Items - Uni (Sea Urchin)

Back
Top Bottom