Need Help with Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to learn to make Sushi and eat a lot of it. Especially if I can make it low sodium. Today I bought:
  • sushi rice
  • nori
  • kumbo
  • bonita flakes
  • mirin
  • plum vinegar
  • shitake/shoyu concentrate
  • pickled ginger
I have on hand:
  • lots of soy sauce, shoyu, tamari
  • sesame oil
  • many spices
  • sesame seeds
  • canned tuna (Albacore) and canned Sockeye Salmon
  • Yellow Rockfish (?) and Cod, usually have tilapia on hand, too
Veggies, I am ready and willing to use any and all veggies. Most have to be close to pureed for me to be able to eat them and I do have problems with most fresh vegetables.

I plan on using many types of fish and, even though it is not traditional, chicken...haven't quite figured out how to incorporate pork...yet.:) I will not be using raw fish of any kind.

Any help with ideas would be appreciated and I would like the recipe for Dashi, again. I thought I had copied and pasted it, if I did, I hid it from myself really well.

Thank You

I have used shredded beef, sweet potato, butternut squash. try and get some fresh tuna, canned tuna just won't be the same. Don't give up it takes practice. I know they say "rolling" but it is more of a folding motion.

I have used shredded beef, sweet potato, butternut squash. try and get some fresh tuna, canned tuna just won't be the same. Don't give up it takes practice. I know they say "rolling" but it is more of a folding motion.

Until I'm fairly good, I don't want to spend the money on fresh tuna...it's expensive. So, it looks like I can put most anything in sushi. My knives are great!:)

PF, there was post just a couple days ago, re dashi from scratch. I'll go find the thread...

In the meantime, :pig: !
Try shredded roast pork (shoulder butt, be sure to include some charred bits) and kimchee (korean pickled cabbage) or another veggie that can hold up to a little vinegar and lots of hot pepper spice.

PF, there was post just a couple days ago, re dashi from scratch. I'll go find the thread...

In the meantime, :pig: !
Try shredded roast pork (shoulder butt, be sure to include some charred bits) and kimchee (korean pickled cabbage) or another veggie that can hold up to a little vinegar and lots of hot pepper spice.

Thanks, Spork! I know there was a discussion on Dashi...just can't seem to find it on my own.

I have a fresh pork roast in the fridge, just haven't gotten around to cooking it. Ideas welcome.:) I was thinking crockpot overnight, salt, pepper and garlic only.

Until I'm fairly good, I don't want to spend the money on fresh tuna...it's expensive. So, it looks like I can put most anything in sushi. My knives are great!:)

The only rule with sushi is must contain seasoned rice. Go with some good fresh salmon if fresh tuna is to pricey. I find the lighter fleshed fish get very fishy in sushi but that is just one mans opinion.

The only rule with sushi is must contain seasoned rice. Go with some good fresh salmon if fresh tuna is to pricey. I find the lighter fleshed fish get very fishy in sushi but that is just one mans opinion.

Thanks, Dan!

Does anyone have a favorite seasoned rice recipe. I got one from the store:

1:1 rice and water, bring to boil, cover and simmer 50 minutes. Cool and add 1/4 cup rice vinegar to each cup of cooked rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sushi rice is normally made with rice wine vinegar. You'll have to experiment, if using plum vinegar. Sprinkle some over rice, taste. Dissolve some sugar, pinch of salt, sprinkle over rice, taste. Repeat, etc, until you get a sour sweet balance that you like. Jot down the ratio that you used.

The mixture to make sushi rice also comes in packaged crystalline form. I find the flavor quite a bit off, metallic, though.

I understand the plum vinegar is quite salty...and the sodium content on the label is very high. I haven't tasted it yet, I'm at my sodium level for the day. I'll try it tomorrow and see if I will be using it.

I have wasabi powder...are there any recipes for making the paste? So many questions...

Thanks for the help!

Zojirushi make great rice cookes! I have had mine for over 10 years.

Don't worry about not having a mat.I use a quart zip lock bag.

I would try making tuna sald and salmon salad sushi if I only had canned.I would get some fresh and sear it rare though.

We use fake crab,smoked salmon,cooked minced shrimp,cooked minced scallops,grilled fish,rare beef,sweet omellete for our home sushi proteins.

I will make 3 sauces to use too.

Mayo with srihacha for spicy shrimp or just the sri hacha
Mayo with spenda for creamy scallops/shrimp
Mayo with splenda and soy

Good time to use reduced cal mayo since you are changing the flavor anyway.

Brown rice works good for sushi too.It has more flavor but you really have to cook it longer and use more water.

I have a fresh pork roast in the fridge, just haven't gotten around to cooking it. Ideas welcome.:) I was thinking crockpot overnight, salt, pepper and garlic only.

Not necessarily for sushi, but have you ever had green chile stew or Cuban style pork roast (we use the leftovers for Cuban sandwiches)? Do you have access to fresh tomatillos, fresh pablano chilis or fresh sour oranges? I promise you a great garlic fix with the Cuban pork roast and a cumin fix with the stew (it has to be fresh toasted and ground seeds though). The stew can be pretty mild or have a little kick:), depending on the spiciness of the pablanos. If interested I can give you the ingredients and how to. I don't ever measure the spices as it is all done to taste, nor do I have a written recipe.

Craig

Craig please post your recipe for cuban pork marinade... I love the stuff but have never used tomatillo's in mine... As for sour oranges, I just pick em off the tree... ;):)

Craig please post your recipe for cuban pork marinade... I love the stuff but have never used tomatillo's in mine... As for sour oranges, I just pick em off the tree... ;):)

:ermm:Sorry, the tomatillos go in the green chili stew I mentioned not the Cuban Pork. I should have been a little more clear.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom