Plant city strawberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
I just got back from my favorite Amish Market here in town, and among all my veggies, I managed to pick up a flat of these beautiful strawberries... Those of you that live in Florida know that these are by far the best berries...

So I just finished washing them and slicing 3 pds, then threw in a bottle of vodka, and will let in sit till Valentines Day...

Next i'm making sweet onion strawberry jam, It's a condiment I love with poultry and pork...

Then i'm going to slow roast some with balsamic and freshly ground pepper (just a little bit) and use that as a topping for ice cream, rice pudding, tapioca, amongst other things... I think I will also try these in my strawberry buttercream frosting...

If there are any left over, well I think i'll just eat them as they are... :)

What are some of the ways you guys like your strawberries??? ;):)

What really great ideas for strawberries, Mimi!!
I especially like this one.....
Next i'm making sweet onion strawberry jam, It's a condiment I love with poultry and pork...
I bet it would be wonderful with lamb also. Would you share the recipe, purdy pleeeze??

For some reason we don't have strawberries in our neck of the woods yet. Bummer. I'm in the mood for some shortcake with real whipped cream.

For you K, anything...

3 pds sweet onions (I use vadalia) thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pint strawberries quartered and cut in half
1 T chopped fresh rosemary
1 T fresh thyme
1 t kosher salt
1 t fresh ground pepper
3 T balsamic vinegar
2 T sugar

Heat oil in a heavy pot (large enough to hold all the onions) over medium-high heat, add onions and cook until they start talking to you (about 3-4 minutes)...

Add the rest of the ingredients, turn down the heat to low and cover the pot... Cook for 2 hours or so, stirring every 20 minutes to scrap up the fond...

The mixture should be mahogany in color, soft and jammielike (this word i'm not giving away Kathleen :LOL:)

K, i've never used it for lamb but you bet your a## i'm getting some chops from Sam's tomorrow...

Please let me know how you like this, and i'll share a variation on this creation!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I like to bake a 3" square of puff pastry sheet (that has been brushed with egg before baking for gloss finish), top it by spreading a dollop of honey-sweetened marscapone on the center of that, top with slices of fresh strawberries, and slightly sprinkle powdered sugar for the finish. You can garnish the top with a fresh mint leaf from your herb garden.

Or you can do a 1" square with marscapone and one strawberry for a bite-sized finger food.

Last edited:
YUMMY Merstar, i'm going to make this for my parents, they lovvvvvvvve strawberry pie... Thank you... ;):)

You're very welcome - they'll love this one - it's freakin' delicious. If you make it, let me know how it turns out!

I like to bake a 3" square of puff pastry sheet (that has been brushed with egg before baking for gloss finish), top it by spreading a dollop of honey-sweetened marscapone on the center of that, top with slices of fresh strawberries, and slightly sprinkle powdered sugar for the finish. You can garnish the top with a fresh mint leaf from your herb garden.

Or you can do a 1" square with marscapone and one strawberry for a bite-sized finger food.

I'll supply the strawberries, you supply the marscapone cheese... This I must try MA I love marscapone especially with honey... :angel::angel::angel:

Thanks for the recipe Mimi. Can't wait to try it on lamb. Here's a picture of the outstanding New Zealand loin lamb chops I picked up at Costco the other day.

img_966306_0_b7831767149974614846549eabdd4736.jpg

Thanks for the recipe Mimi. Can't wait to try it on lamb. Here's a picture of the outstanding New Zealand loin lamb chops I picked up at Costco the other day.

img_966314_0_b7831767149974614846549eabdd4736.jpg

Oh Yum K, lets see you have the lamb chops, I have the onion strawberry jam, it's 5:30 here and 2:30 there....... Hummmm a quick plane ride and it could be a match made in heaven!!!!

I hope you enjoy the recipe, i'll be trying it with lamb tomorrow night so i'll keep you posted...

XOXO Mimi

I just got back from my favorite Amish Market here in town, and among all my veggies, I managed to pick up a flat of these beautiful strawberries... Those of you that live in Florida know that these are by far the best berries...

So I just finished washing them and slicing 3 pds, then threw in a bottle of vodka, and will let in sit till Valentines Day...

Then i'm going to slow roast some with balsamic and freshly ground pepper (just a little bit) and use that as a topping for ice cream, rice pudding, tapioca, amongst other things... I think I will also try these in my strawberry buttercream frosting...

If there are any left over, well I think i'll just eat them as they are... :)

What are some of the ways you guys like your strawberries??? ;):)

I like to see that you are putting them to good use. I like them cooked with sugar and water to make a syrup. Combine with crepes and you have the perfect breakfast.

I rinse and quarter the strawberries, chill and serve with a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. I also like to smush them and freeze into a sorbet.

There is always strawberry wine!

MA, that sounds like a great dessert for something a little bit different.

Mer, the strawberry cream thing sounds delightful. I love strawberries. How long will it hold up if made in advance?

PF, ground pepper does magical things at times.

Kayelle, I noticed that you have four of those. I'll be on the flight right behind Mimi's.

Mimi, do you can the jam? If not, how long will it last?

Kathleen, it is jammielike but really a condiment... I've never canned it, but I suppose you could... The recipe I gave makes about 2-3 cups and will last for a few weeks in the fridge... I like to slather it on chicken sandwiches also, very yummy!!!

Kathleen, it is jammielike but really a condiment... I've never canned it, but I suppose you could... The recipe I gave makes about 2-3 cups and will last for a few weeks in the fridge... I like to slather it on chicken sandwiches also, very yummy!!!

It sounds awesome! I'm already looking forward to strawberry season!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom