Help! What is this thing called and where can I find it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dantheman

Assistant Cook
Hi, hope someone here can help me out. About 15 years ago I worked for a short while at someone's falafel stand, and we had a little metal tray that we would lay the pitta breads in, which would stand them up while we'd fill up with salad, falafels, piquant sauce etc, it was essentially a metal tray (around 6" from front to back) in a zigzag shape, kind of like a load of letter V stuck together, and it would prevent the pittas from toppling sideways and spilling their contents.

Now I quite often use pittas, either when I make fresh falafel or, more often, just to fill with a mixture of diced tomato, cucumber, feta and fresh mint, lined with lettuce and topped with olives, jalapenos and home-made vinaigrette, it's one of my favourite meals, but by the time I come to add the olives and jalapenos, it's a bit of a nightmare as I usually have 2 of these at a time, and I have to carefully lay each pitta on its side while attending to the other, and inevitable spillages occur as I like to put plenty of stuffing in there. :mad:

I'd like to get a couple of these, ideally just for holding a couple of pittas each, but at this stage I'd take anything. I've googled all sorts of possible names for them (pitta/falafel/kebab racks/stands), but I can't find what I'm looking for. Anyone know what these are called and where to find them, or can suggest any alternative methods to get these things to stand up? By the way, it seems that the general populace of this forum is US-based, and I'm in the UK, but any kind of leads will be gratefully received! Thanks :D

Clearly there are choices.

The trick is to Google creatively. I immediately though of tacos as a food that needed support and googled taco holders.

You could also use an adjustable V rack that is used in a roasting pan.

Thanks guys, great answers, and I can buy a taco rack on ebay.co.uk from a US seller for a low price, so I'm gonna go for one of those! Taco never occurred to me as Mexican food isn't that big over here beyond fajitas and enchiladas, although it's definitely growing in popularity (doner kebabs however are extremely popular, especially on the way home from a night in the pub, and I searched for those). I might have to cut the taco rack in half as I can't see it fitting on one of my plates ;)

Hi, hope someone here can help me out. About 15 years ago I worked for a short while at someone's falafel stand, and we had a little metal tray that we would lay the pitta breads in, which would stand them up while we'd fill up with salad, falafels, piquant sauce etc, it was essentially a metal tray (around 6" from front to back) in a zigzag shape, kind of like a load of letter V stuck together, and it would prevent the pittas from toppling sideways and spilling their contents.

Now I quite often use pittas, either when I make fresh falafel or, more often, just to fill with a mixture of diced tomato, cucumber, feta and fresh mint, lined with lettuce and topped with olives, jalapenos and home-made vinaigrette, it's one of my favourite meals, but by the time I come to add the olives and jalapenos, it's a bit of a nightmare as I usually have 2 of these at a time, and I have to carefully lay each pitta on its side while attending to the other, and inevitable spillages occur as I like to put plenty of stuffing in there. :mad:

I'd like to get a couple of these, ideally just for holding a couple of pittas each, but at this stage I'd take anything. I've googled all sorts of possible names for them (pitta/falafel/kebab racks/stands), but I can't find what I'm looking for. Anyone know what these are called and where to find them, or can suggest any alternative methods to get these things to stand up? By the way, it seems that the general populace of this forum is US-based, and I'm in the UK, but any kind of leads will be gratefully received! Thanks :D

Hi, welcome to DC. How about an office desk organizer, meant to hold several separate 2" binders? I think they have smaller ones too. Check Staples or Office Depot online and see if one of these would do the trick for you.:smartass:

My taco rack in action :)

Attachments

• tacos 11-23-09.jpg
    tacos 11-23-09.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 272

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom