Help with substitutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimmer09

Assistant Cook
Just been taken off all nightshade foods but I love chili powder, hot pepper flakes, spicy and hot foods...are there any substitutions not in the nighshade family?

thanks

I had never heard of this so I googled, black pepper did not seem to be banned list, it is traditionally used in curry to give heat.

Black pepper for sure.

You can also buy liquid capsaicin, but I don't know if that would contain whatever is in nightshades that you cannot have.

I know nothing about nightshades and had to google that myself. You have my deepest sympathies. If I had to give up nightshades I don't know what I'd eat. Sorry I can't be any help for your question, but there's a good discussion that's "stickied" at the top of the Health & Nutrition forum on this board about food allergies. There may be some info hidden in there, or some of the people who regularly contribute to that list may have some better ideas for you.

Here's the thread:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/the-food-allergy-list-i-compiled-57382.html

Good luck to you.

Horseradish?? I do not find it on any of the lists I checked.

Here are some interesting links I found on Google. Not sure if they will be helpful to you, but might be worth a look.

WHFoods: What are nightshades and in which foods are they found?

Here is a quote from the following link that might be helpful...
"Radishes or Black Pepper for Capsicums (red pepper, sweet peppers, cayenne, paprika, etc) – Daikon or red radishes can add that kick to replace sweet peppers. They’re great in stir fries. And we can all be grateful that black pepper, which belongs to the Piperaceae family, is not a member of the nightshade foods."

Nightshade Substitutes

Some more substitution ideas here..
No Nightshades Diet

Just Google "nightshade substitutes" and there are many more links you can check out. Good luck!!

Black pepper is allowed, different species. You need to avoid all species of Capsicum(peppers) including paprika, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes. But never fear you can have some great meals without them.

Replacements for Vit C (peppers/tomatoes): kohlrabi, papaya, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, oranges, cantaloupe, kiwi, kale and cauliflower.

Replacement for heat, spices: black/red/white pepper, horseradish, wasabi, radishes, garlic, turmeric, ginger, chives, onion.

Bon appetit!

Just been taken off all nightshade foods but I love chili powder, hot pepper flakes, spicy and hot foods...are there any substitutions not in the nighshade family?

thanks

nightshades are potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers (that is bell peppers of all colors) and TOBACCO!

I don't believe chiles and capsicum is included.

nightshades are potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers (that is bell peppers of all colors) and TOBACCO!

I don't believe chiles and capsicum is included.

AND they are all No-Nos for those of us with Arthritis, because nightshades are the worst foods in generating joint inflammation.

I still like tomatoes and select tomato products, so I am usually prepared in advance to pay the consequences. I just resolve myself to being in pain the following day. Pizza sauce and tomato bisque soup are two weaknesses, but potatoes, peppers and chilis are on my avoid at all cost list.

Back
Top Bottom