Orange Creme Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I needed are dessert the other night and came up with this recipe. It got a "thumbs-up" the picky eater here.

Orange Creme Pie

Ingredients:

1 box Orange Jello

2 packages ( 8 oz each) cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup granulated white sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup 2% milk

1 tub Cool Whip

1 Tbsp vanilla Extract

1/4 tsp Pure Orange Extract

1 'Nilla-Wafer pie crust

Using a mixer, cream together until very smooth the cream cheese, sugar, cream, milk, and the extracts.

Add in the orange jello and mix until well combined.

Using a large metal spoon or rubber/silicon spatula fold in the cool whip, working in 1/2 the tub at a time.

Pour the mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Overnight is better.

Slice and serve with whipped topping.

Note: The pie will be very high and you will need to keep it in a large, lidded container (this is the voice of experience talking). That plastic lid that comes with the crust will not work.

Photos are here http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/thursdays-table-2-10-a-70107.html

Last edited:
My picky eater will love this I know! Thanks. Here I go...copy and paste!:)

I used the standard sized Philly block. I don't recall what the size/weight is. I'll check when I do the shopping this week and update the recipe.

Was it about 5-6 inches long and 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide? It was probably a 8 oz. package.

Last edited:
So, I just printed out this recipe so that I can get what I need to make it soon, and noticed the note on the bottom;

Note: The pie will be very high and you will need to keep it in a large, lidded container (this is the voice of experience talking). That plastic lid that comes with the crust will not work.

I'm thinking that the extra that won't fit so that the lid can go on is for the baker to eat to try it before everyone else, or it could be for those little tart pans with crumb crust in them for the grandkids when they are there. OK, if I make it when the grandkids are not around, it will just be really full. I really don't need that extra snitch before the rest of the crowd, or do I?:dry:

So, I just printed out this recipe so that I can get what I need to make it soon, and noticed the note on the bottom;

I'm thinking that the extra that won't fit so that the lid can go on is for the baker to eat to try it before everyone else, or it could be for those little tart pans with crumb crust in them for the grandkids when they are there. OK, if I make it when the grandkids are not around, it will just be really full. I really don't need that extra snitch before the rest of the crowd, or do I?:dry:

Or you might be able to make two not-as-high pies or even spoon the leftovers into parfait glasses or pudding cups and top with some crushed 'Nilla-wafers. Although I like the mini-tart idea.

Or you might be able to make two not-as-high pies or even spoon the leftovers into parfait glasses or pudding cups and top with some crushed 'Nilla-wafers. Although I like the mini-tart idea.

Or you could put the pie pan in the cake taker or on the bottom of a high domed cake plate.

OK, I bought all of the things I needed, but the Nilla wafer crust was not to be found in these here parts! :LOL: So, I bought Nilla wafers. Do you think I would make a crust just like I would with graham crackers? You know-with butter and sugar? Maybe I don't need sugar? Has anyone made a crust of this sort before? I will probably make this pie over the weekend when I have more time. If anyone has ideas, let me know. Thanks.

OK, I bought all of the things I needed, but the Nilla wafer crust was not to be found in these here parts! :LOL: So, I bought Nilla wafers. Do you think I would make a crust just like I would with graham crackers? You know-with butter and sugar?

I found a recipe for a nilla wafer crust that is 40 wafers crushed, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/4 c butter, melted. The instructions are the same as for a graham cracker crust.

I have not tried it yet but plan on it this weekend. It was requested that I try making a lemon version of the pie and use a large deep-dish pie pan.

Back
Top Bottom