Cookbook made with HTML or other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raindance

Assistant Cook
Microsoft wants a lot for their Microsoft Office, so I don't use Word. My computer had Works on it, but when that crashed, the new computer had a different word processor on it and it wouldn't open Works documents, so all that typing was wasted. I didn't want to use the new word processor program then have Microsoft change things again, so I decided to go with HTML. I made an Index, so when I want to bring up a recipe, I just click the name of the recipe, and it comes up on the screen.

I was wondering if anyone else has made their own cookbook using HTML or some other computer programming language. If so, do you have any helpful tips?

Raindance, take a look at www.openoffice.org They have a FREE!!! software package you can download that offers the same types of programs as there are in MS Office. There is a word processor, and spreadsheet and more. I have used it and it works well. The commands are a tiny bit different but if you are not used to WORD or WORKS, that won't be an issue. It might be worth a try. Not only for recipes/cookbooks but for other uses as well.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience with word processors, can you do an index with links to other documents, as you can with HTML? Also, can you insert an image and have text running alongside the image, or can you only place text above and below the image?

I don't have a lot of experience with word processors, can you do an index with links to other documents, as you can with HTML? Also, can you insert an image and have text running alongside the image, or can you only place text above and below the image?

I can't answer that. Not enough experience with the product. Maybe Garlicjosh can answer that.

Actually, if you go to the link and click on the "Great Software", it describes some of the features.

Last edited:
You should check out the existing recipe programs available and there are tons of them costing between cheap and free.
MasterCook is one of the most popular, and very easy to use. You can find the rest of them listed in wikipedia under "recipe programs".

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I took a look at the Help file in my word processor to see what it could do. Since it can do a lot of the things that you can do with HTML, it looks to me like a word processor is basically a HTML editor.

I'm using a "free" program by blurb called booksmart to do my cookbook... You eventually have to pay to have them put the book together (it's not much tho) but I like it because I can download all my photo's of the food I make that correspondes with the recipe... :):):)

Back
Top Bottom