Duck Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
We have been given several dozen duck eggs. I have fried some and they taste very similar to chicken eggs but with maybe not as much flavor. These are like the biggest super jumbo chicken eggs you have ever seen. I'm wondering if I use them in baking if I should try to cut down on the number of eggs just because of their size. Anyone have any experience with these?

Recipes typically refer to large chicken eggs. Large eggs average 24-27 ounces per dozen (roughly 2+ ounces each). If your duck eggs are larger, you should use fewer of them in a recipe. Weigh a dozen duck eggs and determine how much larger they are.

If, for example, they are 25% larger, a recipe calling for four eggs would work with three duck eggs.

I have never used them in baking, or anything else for that matter, but when baking I always use a scale... Even chicken eggs have different weights... If you have a scale perhaps you could weigh the amount of eggs called for in a recipe, then weigh the duck eggs to get the correct amount... Just a thought...

Unfortunately I have no kitchen scale and no room to store one anyway. My kitchen looks like Sanford and Sons with just the stuff I need now. I'm thinking I may have to whip up the eggs scrambled egg style and just remove a little of the egg when I need only one egg.

I had a friend who colored them and made Easter Egg hunt eggs, but we never actually ate them. We sure did have fun watching the faces of the kids when they found the giant eggs!:cool:

Oh, that sounds like fun but unfortunately Easter is a bit far off for that. Still, I could do a few to take to church. The kids would love the out of season treat.

My Mumkept ducks and geese when we were kids, from memory the yolk was "richer" than chickens eggs also she could not find an egg cup to fit.
When she baked with them she used Andy M method.
Ps rationing or shortages after WW2 did not realy stop till 1955.

Okay folks, I just made a cake from a mix, using the duck eggs. I baked it off in a pan that makes 8 small loaves. I used two duck eggs instead of three chicken eggs. Well, the loaves came out looking a little like hot air balloons. I mean they crowned like there is no tomorrow. I guess I will just cut off the crown to flatten them out and then frost them. The cakes are a little birthday surprise for someone at work so I would like them to look nice although now that I think about it we might get a good laugh about those silly cakes. Hummm...maybe I'll just leave them as they are.:LOL:

You could go traditional. No worries about the eggs spoiling before use them up.

Century egg, also known as preserved egg, hundred-year egg, thousand-year egg, thousand-year-old egg, and millennium egg (or Pidan in Mandarin), is a Chinese cuisine ingredient made by preserving duck, chicken or quail eggs in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime, and rice hulls for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing. Through the process, the yolk becomes a dark green and creamy with an odor of sulphur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, transparent jelly with little flavor.[citation needed] The transforming agent in the century egg is its alkaline material, which gradually raises the pH of the egg to around 9, 12, or more during the curing process.[1] This chemical process breaks down some of the complex, flavorless proteins and fats, which produces a variety of smaller flavorful compounds.

I guess they are right then when they say that duck eggs will make a cake batter fluffier.

Bigjim, I have heard of those eggs, totally gross in my opinion but if you would like some I could stick them in snail mail. They should be good and ripe by the time they get to you.:LOL:

Pecanis, I have never heard that about duck eggs before but after today I am inclined to believe it.

Bigjim, I have heard of those eggs, totally gross in my opinion but if you would like some I could stick them in snail mail. They should be good and ripe by the time they get to you.:LOL:

Pecanis, I have never heard that about duck eggs before but after today I am inclined to believe it.
I've seen them once in a Chinese market. They looked exactly like I imagined they would. Passed on purchasing a few to slice up over salad.

Okay folks, I just made a cake from a mix, using the duck eggs. I baked it off in a pan that makes 8 small loaves. I used two duck eggs instead of three chicken eggs. Well, the loaves came out looking a little like hot air balloons. I mean they crowned like there is no tomorrow. I guess I will just cut off the crown to flatten them out and then frost them. The cakes are a little birthday surprise for someone at work so I would like them to look nice although now that I think about it we might get a good laugh about those silly cakes. Hummm...maybe I'll just leave them as they are.:LOL:

If they did that with a cake mix, wonder how they would do in a souffle?

Craig

If they did that with a cake mix, wonder how they would do in a souffle?

Craig

Oh--that could be interesting. I wish I knew where I could get duck eggs in the Ottawa Valley area...and white truffle oil...and the herb grinder Dr. Oz had on his show today...

I was given some duck eggs a long time ago, and I remember the yolks being a very bright color. I scrambled them for breakfast and they grossed the kids out......me too, kinda. :huh:
They seemed really rich tasting.

Update: While the cakes looked funny they were absolutely fantastic tasting. Now for the funny part...the Birthday Girl turned out to be allergic to wheat! All that for nothing... well, I did enjoy her loaf:)

In the UK Costco sells ducks eggs, I remember as a child lying on the lawn watching my Mum help the duck chicks out of the eggs using warm water, the emerged like a lump of snot(booger) five mins later they looked like beautifull fluffy buttercups, sometime later they looked great with roast tats peas and a cherry jus:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom