What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I met a friend to exchange eggs for cash <g> today. She asked me how I'd lost so much weight (I don't think I've lost that much, but I have shrunk 2 sizes since June). The simple answer--I ate breakfast and ate whatever I wanted for breakfast. Let's start with the fact that I was a non-breakfast eater. Food in the morning--ugh. It had nothing to do with time, it had to do with I had conditioned my body not to expect food in the morning. So I told her what I did--greens/veggies + protein + a serving of carbs (in my case, whole grains) for 30 days. In part this was motivated by a segment I saw on Dr. Oz--but it was also motivated by the fact the Girls were laying the best eggs, I didn't have enough people interested in buying the eggs off me, and the garden was producing, and I was operating (still am) on a limited budget. On the days I didn't make breakfast (and there were those days), I made sure I ate a grapefruit or some cheese cubes or veggies or hummus, or something and drank my glass of water with cider or other vinegar added. To make life simpler, I would take a brick of cheese and cube it, put the cubes in those little snack ziplocks so there was one portion (1 oz of cheese) ready for me to grab and eat. I hardboiled and peeled eggs so I could grab an egg. Let's face it, a hardboiled egg is something you can hold and eat while driving. So are cheese cubes or veggies (carrot sticks, celery, green pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini spears) and apples or orange segments. I would buy yogurt and split it into the recommended serving sizes in little tupperware containers. I stopped buying chips, etc., stocked up on nuts, packaged those into "take along" portions (even though my office is 30 seconds from the kitchen). And, I stopped eating white sugar and bread (for the most part). Now, I did indulge and make waffles every now and again--excellent for toaster waffles--whole grain or whole wheat flour, they freeze well and pop in the toaster. Wish I could vacu-pac my breakfasts and sell them in a supermarket to make it easy for a person to grab a breakfast made of something other than sugar and carbohydrates and pop it in the microwave or a "eat in the car, not messy breakfast"! Enough of my rant.

Last edited:
Not a rant, CWS -- inspiration and reinforcement. Have had a coffee, now it's time to go to the kitchen and choose eatables. Thank you so much for the details and useful information. :)

Not a rant, CWS -- inspiration and reinforcement. Have had a coffee, now it's time to go to the kitchen and choose eatables. Thank you so much for the details and useful information. :)
I'm a protein-dairy freak so having hard boiled eggs, nuts, cheese cubes, and yogurt ready to grab works for me, but I also have a container with carrot sticks/celery/radishes ready in the fridge and some citrus fruit--I love grapefruit and limes. I hate bananas, but if one likes bananas, have those on hand and eat one in the car on the way to work to condition oneself to eating something in the morning. If it is a hotdog, so be it. I don't eat those either, but if that is what it takes, go for it. And, I discovered that I liked my breakfast (big meal), lunch so-so, supper could be the meal that was small so much, I'm still doing that more than 6 months later. I guess it was a lifestyle eating change re: how I ate rather than a diet.

Last edited:
I had 2 pieces of 9-grain toast, one with just butter the second with black cherry spread. One egg fried with grapeseed oil on top of the buttered toast. Coffee and V-8 juice. Slowly making it a full breakfast in the morning and cutting back on my evening meal. What's really amazing, I ate within 30 minutes of waking up.

2 slices of light, wheat bread with laughing cow cheese & sf strawberry jam, coffee/creamer & a piece of beef jerky.

I had 2 pieces of 9-grain toast, one with just butter the second with black cherry spread. One egg fried with grapeseed oil on top of the buttered toast. Coffee and V-8 juice. Slowly making it a full breakfast in the morning and cutting back on my evening meal. What's really amazing, I ate within 30 minutes of waking up.
+1 You go, girl!

2 fried eggs on a homemade wholewheat English muffin, chopped jalapeno, a side of salad and 1/2 c Red River Valley cereal (original). A glass of water.

Attachments

• breakfast 015.jpg
    breakfast 015.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
1 cup cheerios with 1/2 cup 2% milk, V-8 juice and coffee. Saving room for my trip to Costco today

Today we had Goodweed of the North's World's Finest Pancakes topped with wild blueberries (SO) and maple syrup (me).

Egg white omelet w mushrooms. Tomatoes. Onions ham & cheese. 1 slice of multi grain toast with light cream cheese & mixed fruit jelly. A regular cup of coffee

Back
Top Bottom