Indian Fry Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAJ

Senior Cook
This recipe comes from an Indian POWWOW in Arizona. You will find the bread in many areas of the country. I don't call it "Native American" frybread. The lady who gave it to me is Navajo and told me this is what they call it.

2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup milk. Drop of oil. Sift dry ingredients. Stir in milk. Add flour and drop of oil. Knead on floured surface. Shape. Roll into circles. Fry 5 min. in hot oil.

Yield/8-10 pieces.

This bread is often used at fairs and powwows and sometimes used like a tortilla, filled with sausage or veggies.:chef:

I make a fry bread too, Chippewa. Mine has no milk and is mixed on the counter and cut into sort of diamond shape and a hole is poked in the middle. Great with fish. Also great with cinnamon and sugar, jelly or pancake syrup. Especially nice when you want fresh bread but haven't any eggs or yeast or such in the house. My kids think it's a celebration when I make this and anytime dd has friends over I have to make it because it's such a novelty to them.

I used to eat Navaho tacos when I lived out west--fry bread, rolled out like a tortilla, with a layer of refried beans, a scattering of taco meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes. It is a knife and fork sort of meal, and absolutely delicious.

I used to eat Navaho tacos when I lived out west--fry bread, rolled out like a tortilla, with a layer of refried beans, a scattering of taco meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes. It is a knife and fork sort of meal, and absolutely delicious.

This is what I have when I ask for Fry Bread. I do this alot for work!

Several posts have been removed from this thread. We are a cooking forum and our community rules specifically call out politics and political commentary as inappropriate topics. Our readership diverse and we have made this choice because while we share a common interest in cooking, we have divergent opinions about politics. Let's focus on those things we share in common, please.

Thanks for understanding :flowers:

Food and politics

Several posts have been removed from this thread. We are a cooking forum and our community rules specifically call out politics and political commentary as inappropriate topics. Our readership diverse and we have made this choice because while we share a common interest in cooking, we have divergent opinions about politics. Let's focus on those things we share in common, please.

Thanks for understanding :flowers:

While I understand your "community rules." It is sometimes difficult to discuss food without talking about politics, Ethnic groups, etc. Often, recipes were developed and evolved, due to economic conditions and politics.

It is sometimes difficult to discuss food without talking about politics, Ethnic groups, etc.

We're an international community here and as such, have many diverse opinions. While it maybe difficult to discuss things without being political, it is possible. Discuss Cooking is fortunate to have members who really focus on cooking and not any political underpinnings. It's one of the reasons some of our members are looking at their 10th year of membership. The focus is on food and family and friendship, not on the more controversial things in life.

Back
Top Bottom