More reasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvabigdog

Cook
You have 2 measuring cups that are unmarked. One is exactly 3 cups and the other is exactly 5 cups.

Your recipe calls for exactly 4 cups of milk. Any more, or less and the dish is ruined.

How do you measure exactly 4 cups of milk for your recipe.

Fill the five cup MC with milk and pour three cups of milk from the five cup MC into the three cup MC leaving two cups of milk in the five cup MC. Empty the three cup MC and pour the two cups of milk from the five cup MC into the three cup MC. Fill the five cup MC with milk and pour one cup of that milk into the three cup MC filling it and leaving four cups of milk in the five cup.

Admittedly, it was tough to get through, jennyema.
Andy kept giving the amount he was pouring out, when in reality he was filling up the other cup to get the amount. He wasn't measuring one cup poured out, but rather the one cup needed to fill up the 3c measuring cup that already had 2 cups in it.

Admittedly, it was tough to get through, jennyema.
Andy kept giving the amount he was pouring out, when in reality he was filling up the other cup to get the amount. He wasn't measuring one cup poured out, but rather the one cup needed to fill up the 3c measuring cup that already had 2 cups in it.

Thanks !! After reading it another 439 times I finally got it!

That is incorrect because you don't know how much you are pouring out. You have to do it without the benefit of having graduation marks on the measuring cups.

Try again.

That is incorrect because you don't know how much you are pouring out. You have to do it without the benefit of having graduation marks on the measuring cups.

Try again.

Nahhh...
You need to read it another 437 times :LOL:

Geez. Hope I'm never stranded on a deserted island with you guys....giving up to easily. And I was going to give you a hard one later.

Take the 3 cup MC and fill it to the brim and empty it into the 5 cup MC. Do it again until you fill the 5 cup MC to the top. You will have exactly 1 cup of milk left in the 3 cup MC. Now that you have exactly 1 cup of milk, pour that into your recipe, then fill up the 3 cup MC again and pour it into the recipe. That gives you exactly 4 cups. Problem solved.

Everybody thinks that pro football players are a bunch of slow thinking idiots that just like to beat each other up physically. We have a softer, more intellectual side also. But we still like to beat each other up. Just ask my wife; she weighs 120 pounds and kicks my butt all over the place even though I am a full 1 foot taller and outweigh her by 140 pounds. She has gray eyes. When she is angry then turn light blue....then I know it's time to run like hell. I call it her warning light.

I guess we are a bunch of dumb bunnies after all who just like to beat up each other.

Good job Andy. You were correct and I was blinded by the light. Didn't realize there was more than one way to "skin a cat."

Again.....good reasoning.

The gravy turned out well by the way. I'll post another tomorrow if you're up for it. Since I'm still a newbie here, I don't know if I'm "over-stepping my bounds" with the fun and game posts. Someone please tell me if I'm overdoing it. Just having fun with you guys and enjoying myself.

I reason that it's NOT a measuring cup if there are no marks of measurement. Plus I have never seen a 5 cup. 2 and 4, yes, but never 5.

Back
Top Bottom