Blackened chicken roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I saved a recipe once and now I can't find it. I know for a fact that it was a roast chicken and i believe it was cooked in a way where it was literally black/burnt on the outside but incredible juicy on the inside. I looked around and I see nothing of this sort in my searches. I also sort of remember maybe it being jamaican style, but I'm not sure about that. I see some recipes out there for blackened chicken using boneless chicken breast, but absolutely nothing in regards to a roast. Anyone know what I might be looking for?

"Blackened" food is cajun style, not Jamaican. You can blacken anything, by using a spice rub and high heat. Here's a recipe for blackend whole chicken: Roasted Blackened Whole chicken Recipe | LIVESTRONG.COM

Jamaican cuisine would likely "jerk" the chicken. make up a jerk paste, or buy some prepared in a jar (Walkerswood make a good one). SPread all over the chicken and let sit overnight, then roast or cook on your grill.

It's also simple as can be to high heat roast a plain chicken at 500 degrees. I do it all the time. Slice up some potatoes and line the bottom of the roasting pan with them to reduce the smoke.

Kafka's Herb-Roasted Chicken | The Paupered Chef

Blackening isn't just a spice rub. It also refers to the technique. Done in a screaming hot CI pan. I mean so hot the pan bottom looks white. Using a blackening spice rub on a chicken roasted in the oven, doesn't justify calling it "Blackened".;) You might be able to use the blackening technique on a whole chicken if you "spatchcock" it and use a mallet or debone it to get an even cooking level. You would probably still have to finish it in the oven though.:)

Craig

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom