Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cookware (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/)
-   -   Le Creuset (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/le-creuset-70740.html)

mkaylady 03-10-2011 03:37 PM

Le Creuset
 
I took a trip to the Le Crueset Outlet on the weekend and bought a new Skillet Grill Pan. It is a great place to get Le Crueset at a much lower price. One thing to note is that at the outlet stores they put a different color on sale every month. This month it is Kiwi and Dijon. The Kiwi is at 30% off and Dijon at 25% off. My pan is Dijon. I just love the color! I also bought a little porcelain tea pot with infuser in the same Dijon color.

I know that Le Crueset is expensive but it is well worth it, IMO. I thought it would be interesting if people post if they were able to get Le Crueset at a discount price and where they got it. Also, if anyone goes to the outlet to let us know what is on sale for the month, what color at what price.

I noticed a discussion on another website about different Le Crueset colors and thought that was interesting. I have Le Crueset in all different colors and just love all the colors but some more than others. My favorites are the original blue and the the Dijon I just got.

Rocklobster 03-10-2011 04:04 PM

I love mine. I have an 9 ltr Dutch Oven. I use it for almost everything. I'm thinking of anoter piece, but I have some other great pans, I don't really need one. Maybe a deep fry pan with ridges. I've never really shopped for them at stores. I have accumulated most of my best quality cookware from yardsales and second hand shops. I got this Le Crueset for 5 dollars and it still had the stor tag on the lid. The people had gotten if for an anniversary present and never used it once They obviously had no idea what it was worth. I didn't tell them, either.

DaveSoMD 03-10-2011 04:12 PM

I have not bought any yet but my local Marshall's store always has them at 50% off. I am looking for a new roasting pan and a saucier before I start replacing my casseroles, dutch oven and grill pan.

mkaylady 03-10-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 977701)
I love mine. I have an 9 ltr Dutch Oven. I use it for almost everything. I'm thinking of anoter piece, but I have some other great pans, I don't really need one. Maybe a deep fry pan with ridges. I've never really shopped for them at stores. I have accumulated most of my best quality cookware from yardsales and second hand shops. I got this Le Crueset for 5 dollars and it still had the stor tag on the lid. The people had gotten if for an anniversary present and never used it once They obviously had no idea what it was worth. I didn't tell them, either.

Wow, how lucky you are! Is that the 9 Qt one? I have the 7 1/2 Qt Dutch Oven and it gets used every day. I have been debating on whether to get a 9 Qt for when I make bigger meals.

The pan with the ridges, for grilling, is the one I got. I don't know about a deep fry pan with ridges.

Rocklobster 03-10-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkaylady (Post 977710)
Wow, how lucky you are! Is that the 9 Qt one? I have the 7 12 Qt Dutch Oven and it gets used every day. I have been debating on whether to get a 9 Qt for when I make bigger meals.

The pan with the ridges, for grilling, is the one I got. I don't know about a deep fry pan with ridges.

You are right. I am debating weather to get a deep one or the model you speak of. I have a regular cast iron ridged plate right now, but it has no sides. It can get messy when I do a fry up. I use it mostly for the campfire.

mkaylady 03-10-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 977717)
You are right. I am debating weather to get a deep one or the model you speak of. I have a regular cast iron ridged plate right now, but it has no sides. It can get messy when I do a fry up. I use it mostly for the campfire.

I have a cast iron pan with ridges that does have sides but it is not very big. I can only grill two hamburgers at the same time in that. The Le Crueset is roomier. I am sure I can grill at least 4 burgers at the same time. I was debating about whether to get one like you are talking about, with no sides. Glad I didn't based on what you are saying.

As for getting a deeper one for frying, I think I would just go for a regular cast iron pan for that. Regular CI works really well for frying and is much cheaper. They have the Tools of the Trade brand on sale this weekend at Macy's.

CWS4322 03-10-2011 06:43 PM

I have the blue, my brother has the orange with the wooden handles. My mother bought a set for each of us when we got our first appartments. She also bought me a LARGE frying pan, a lasagne pan, and a round casserole (I can't remember what it is called--it is huge and I use it in the oven). She also bought me an extra sauce pan. I see they have PURPLE now. Oh, if I could trade the blue for PURPLE! Next liftetime since these pans will last my lifetime (and that is what my mother said when we left the store--these will last your lifetime). I think the TOTAL amount for all of the pans was under $200, my, have they gone up in price.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my pans. I think they are well worth the investment (of course, I wasn't the one who made the investment). I do have a couple of SS Torontina (the ones from Brazil). I love them as well.

Julio 03-11-2011 05:38 AM

I bought a 5 1/2 QT. round color flame I'll be receiving it today when UPS drops it off. I bought mine for $179.99 but the shipping was $20.00 :( Not sure yet what am I going to cook first but I know it will be delicious :)

CWS4322 03-11-2011 04:50 PM

Wow! I'm glad my mom thought to buy my "set" for me when the total bill for all the pieces she bought were under $200 (guess my age <g>).

mkaylady 03-11-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio (Post 977915)
I bought a 5 1/2 QT. round color flame I'll be receiving it today when UPS drops it off. I bought mine for $179.99 but the shipping was $20.00 :( Not sure yet what am I going to cook first but I know it will be delicious :)

Where did you buy it from? I'm sure it would be cheaper in the Outlet store. I could have bought a 7 1/2 Qt Round Dutch Oven for $160. They also deliver and I think it is free shipping for over $100.

Julio 03-12-2011 12:39 AM

I bought it from a cooking school / store in california. I don't own a car if not I would have go to an outlet just for the money savings :) When I made the purchase it was out of no where I think it was like 2 AM Isn't stuff from the outlet Senconds?

Andy M. 03-12-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio (Post 978210)
...Isn't stuff from the outlet Senconds?

They do sell seconds - cosmetic imperfections. I have an orange (Flame) 7 1/4 quart French oven with a little orange speck on the cream colored bottom of the pot. Absolutely not effect on the cooking or durability.

mkaylady 03-12-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio (Post 978210)
I bought it from a cooking school / store in california. I don't own a car if not I would have go to an outlet just for the money savings :) When I made the purchase it was out of no where I think it was like 2 AM Isn't stuff from the outlet Senconds?

They sell some new and mostly seconds. However, my skillet has absolutely nothing wrong with it that I can detect. I ask them to let me look it over first before purchasing. The imperfections are usually very slight and in some cases, like mine, practically undetectable. My tea pot, however, has a bulge I don't like and I will go back to exchange it.

Like I said, they do deliver so even if you don't have a car you can order over the phone and have it delivered. I do understand those late night online purchases! I almost bought my skillet from a website online for $89 but decided to go to the outlet first and I saved about $15. doing so. You can also check out some other sites online. If you google Le Crueset a whole lot of sites will come up and you can peruse them all to find the deepest discount.

FrankZ 03-12-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 978278)
They do sell seconds - cosmetic imperfections. I have an orange (Flame) 7 1/4 quart French oven with a little orange speck on the cream colored bottom of the pot. Absolutely not effect on the cooking or durability.


You could always sand blast em out.

Andy M. 03-12-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 978396)
You could always sand blast em out.


The imperfection is under the final glaze and I really don't care.

mkaylady 03-12-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 978448)
The imperfection is under the final glaze and I really don't care.

That type of imperfection is a non issue. You can't see it if it is on the bottom of the pot, right.

Andy M. 03-12-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkaylady (Post 978481)
That type of imperfection is a non issue. You can't see it if it is on the bottom of the pot, right.


I can see it because it's on the inside bottom. I still don't care. It is still a non-issue.

mkaylady 03-12-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 978485)
I can see it because it's on the inside bottom. I still don't care. It is still a non-issue.

I agree that the inside bottom is still a non issue. If you saw the stains inside my 7 1/4 Qt Dutch Oven you would know that. I have had that pot for over 10 years and use it at least 3 times a week. After years of use the inside does get stained and the finish is not as shiny anymore. But the pot has no chips and is still a workhorse in my kitchen. :smile:

Andy M. 03-12-2011 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They last forever. I dropped it on my stove top once and now there is a big chip in the porcelain stove top. The pot is unmarked.

mkaylady 03-13-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 978494)
They last forever. I dropped it on my stove top once and now there is a big chip in the porcelain stove top. The pot is unmarked.

That is what a lot of people don't understand. They look at the price and say it is not worth it but I don't know any other product like Le Creuset. These pots take a beating and still they last and last. None of my Le Creuset pots have any chips on them. They also have a lifetime warranty. I wonder what they would accept for a return based on the warranty. Would it be if it got chipped or the finish worn off or what?

I bought a Le Crueset Buffet Server or Braiser Pan once in a thrift store that had the handle on one side broken off. That was the only thing wrong with it, perfect condition otherwise. I paid $10 for it. I called the company (didn't tell them I bought it used) and they said they would have to decide if it was caused by my negligence or not but I would have to pay to ship it to them to find out. She offered me to purchase another one for a discounted price but I just kept it. I use it to roast in and don't use it for serving. For the life of me I can't figure out how the cast iron handle broke off of that pot?!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.