TNT: Irish Brown Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
Brown Irish Bread

1 cup flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 cup well shaken buttermilk
1 egg white, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cast iron skillet, or baking sheet with butter.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Mix together with a whisk. Sprinkle the cubed butter over the mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the oats & stir to combine. Pour in the buttermilk & mix until a dough begins to come together. Using your hands, knead the dough into a ball. Transfer the loaf to the baking sheet & cut a large "X" into the top. Brush the top with the beaten egg white & sprinkle a few pinches of rolled oats over the top.

Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. You will know when it's done, if you take it out, tap on the bottom of the loaf & it sounds hollow. Transfer to a wire rack to cool & serve with a generous helping of Irish butter.

You know ... as soon as I put this up here I realized that I totally forgot to add the butter when I made this earlier!! :mad: I did my dry ingredients, made a well and added the buttermilk. I totally spaced the butter. :wacko: Now I think I need to remake it the correct way. Even without the butter it's fabulous. /sigh

Good Soda Bread Zereh, I could just take a thick slice and fry it in bacon fat, serve it with fried eggs, bacon, sausage, potato farl, splash, fried potato, white and black pudding and two slices toasted.
Damm I forgot the bubble and squeak, fried mushrooms Welcome to a full Irish breakfast.Google Ulster fry

Last edited:
Good Soda Bread Zereh, I could just take a thick slice and fry it in bacon fat, serve it with fried eggs, bacon, sausage, potato farl, splash, fried potato, white and black pudding and two slices toasted.
Damm I forgot the bubble and squeak, fried mushrooms Welcome to a full Irish breakfast.Google Ulster fry
Bolas--is that part of your diet? I want to be on your diet!

Bolas--is that part of your diet? I want to be on your diet!
No mate I first ate it a 14 when my Dad thought working on the Kelly boats in my summer hols,they were coal carriers that sailed from L/pool to Belfast to Dublin then back, he thought it would tame me, I could eat then and not put weight on.

Thanks for the recipe, it was very nice. Had it tonight with bangers and mash.

SG1L3712.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom