What's cooking Monday, March 28th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I have never made cabbage rolls before so I looked up a recipe on-line. Went ahead and made the dish although I am sure that the person who wrote the recipe would not recognize it in it's finished form. The recipe called for hamburger and I used a mix of ground venison and pork. I also added green peppers, onions and celery to the meat mixture as well as pepper. Then instead of tomatoe sauce I whirred up 3/4 quart of mild sweet salsa in the food processor and poured that over the cabbage rolls. The rolls were supposed to be put in a large pot and simmered for an hour on the stovetop. But I put them in a 9x13 baking dish and covered it with foil. Then I put it in a 350 degree oven to bake. It's in there now. It should be interesting to see how it turns out. It's still cabbage rolls but it is nothing like the traditional recipe that I started with. If it doesn't turn out well my family may be eating out tonight!:LOL:

I'm sure it will be tasty, but my Ukrainian heritage is causing me to scream, "Blasphemy!" in my head! LOL! :LOL:

We don't have a plan yet for tonight. There are an awful lot of leftovers in the fridge, and I have no clue how many people will be dining here tonight. Could be 2, could be 5 or 6. I might have a frozen pizza on standby, but otherwise there will be wings, gnocchi, spaghetti, beans, and soup on the menu. I put the deep fryer away so I'm not tempted anymore! I'm breaking it out tomorrow though for sizzling rice soup!

We're having an 'on the run' kind of dinner tonight. I have a condo board annual meeting so will be eating earlier than SO. She's coming home later and will be having some beef barley soup out of the freezer.

I have never made cabbage rolls before so I looked up a recipe on-line. Went ahead and made the dish although I am sure that the person who wrote the recipe would not recognize it in it's finished form. The recipe called for hamburger and I used a mix of ground venison and pork. I also added green peppers, onions and celery to the meat mixture as well as pepper. Then instead of tomatoe sauce I whirred up 3/4 quart of mild sweet salsa in the food processor and poured that over the cabbage rolls. The rolls were supposed to be put in a large pot and simmered for an hour on the stovetop. But I put them in a 9x13 baking dish and covered it with foil. Then I put it in a 350 degree oven to bake. It's in there now. It should be interesting to see how it turns out. It's still cabbage rolls but it is nothing like the traditional recipe that I started with. If it doesn't turn out well my family may be eating out tonight!:LOL:

I've been toying with the idea of wrapping dirty rice in collard greens and making a batch of creole sauce to put over.:wacko: That will be one spicy "cabbage" roll! Tonight we are having beer steamed hotdogs with left over slaw.

Craig

Unless something else comes to mind later I am planning on having hot dogs (not on buns), macaroni and cheese, and a vegetable. :cool:

I've got half a flank steak that I'll be turning into fajitas tonight.

Company is coming for dinner and the weather is wet and nasty so I've been slow cooking some ribs for oven BBQ ribs, twice baked potatoes, corn on the cob, broccoli and rolls. I made a lemon ice box pie this morning for dessert.

Leftover turkey casserole. I did make it with the Greek yogurt instead of sour cream (figured it would be healthier). The sauce wasn't quite the same, not as creamy, but it still was good. And, I have one in the freezer from when I go visit a friend this weekend.

we're having pork chops, some type of potato (probably boiled, sliced, and baked in butter) and bacon wrapped asparagus. gotta use up the bacon i opened up yesterday.....

just a frozen pizza. got big grocery order being delivered between four and six. takes a while to put away. so i wanted something quick,easy and no mess. not sure about dessert. i am sick of cheesecake bars and will freeze the rest.

I'm sure it will be tasty, but my Ukrainian heritage is causing me to scream, "Blasphemy!" in my head! LOL! :LOL:

I agree. Blasphemy!! And, I love it! I have been toying with the idea of an Italian inspired one with melted mozzerella on top.:ohmy:

Tonight it is Spaghetti with Clam Sauce and luckytrims smothered Eggplant.

Last edited:
i am sick of cheesecake bars and will freeze the rest.
Babe, you could send those bars my way if your freezer is too full!:rolleyes:

I'm just going to fry up some hamburger patties in my CI skillet and reheat the alfredo noodles. We ate pretty heavy over the weekend in the Outer Banks so something simple is called for tonight.

Here is the Spaghetti with Clam sauce and the Smothered Eggplant. I got a new camera last week. So, I'm probably going to drive you all nuts..:LOL:

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 178
I made cheese gnocchi with butter lemon sauce (Michael Symon recipe) and added asparagus and broccoli.

Eldest daughter having a birthday so since she mad a small sugestion here is what sh wants stuffed mushroom, tournedos cooked rare and covered with more mushrooms, Shrimp cocktail, Garlic mashed potatoes, the garlic is cooked in heavey cream til soft asparagus wrapped in pancetta after roasting then shaved parm on top a green salad with anchovey dressing. Home made rolls and I bought a birthday cake
Were done:LOL:
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom