Tsai Beat Flay......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
In the Duck Battle. What a battle!!! Tsai attempted Peking duck in under 1 hour.

Tsai went with a dessert item using duck. Some Creme Bru lei type item.

Flay had one item that used a serrano peppers and one that used a habanero peppers.

kleenex said:
In the Duck Battle. What a battle!!! Tsai attempted Peking duck in under 1 hour.

Tsai went with a dessert item using duck. Some Creme Bru lei type item.

Flay had one item that used a serrano peppers and one that used a habanero peppers.

These asian chefs are getting weird on us, dessert duck after hearing about trout eyeball icecream and the other one, I think I gag on these.

I didn't catch that one. I will have to try to find out when the rerun airs.

I hate Flay so much I don't care who beats him, as long as they do! He's an embarresment to America, ruder than an Italian New York cabbie (from Brooklyn) who only get's a $20 tip for a $5 fare, nd I wouldn't eat in one of his pepper-palaces if they were the last fast-food joints on the earth.

I always cheer for his challenger.

he's a good one mac-jr.

michael, i have a few cabbie friends that wanna have a little talk with you, maybe go for a little walk, capisce? :D

i watched that battle, flay got his butt whipped on taste, but it was pretty much a dead heat on originality and presentation. i cringed listening to flay clumsily describe his dishes. ming tsai came away looking very good, very classy.

at least the battle was good, and the judges had some interesting things to say. the guy from "queer eye" was pretty funny.

i still think they could have done away with the chairman thing and just gone with a good host/emcee. terrible casting.

Actually to an extent Flay fit's in really nicely with Iron chef america.

It's kinda like wrestling... we need that guy who walks around being pompous and causes us to boo him and throw stuff the screen when he wins. To a lesser extent Iron chef (the original) had that in Kobe who could REALLY let his ego get the best of him (like when he went up against the mexican chef, I was ready to strangle my tv). It just makes for good television and I mean it's not like Flay cant cook, he's just not the best.

buckytom said:
he's a good one mac-jr.

michael, i have a few cabbie friends that wanna have a little talk with you, maybe go for a little walk, capisce? :D

i watched that battle, flay got his butt whipped on taste, but it was pretty much a dead heat on originality and presentation. i cringed listening to flay clumsily describe his dishes. ming tsai came away looking very good, very classy.

at least the battle was good, and the judges had some interesting things to say. the guy from "queer eye" was pretty funny.

i still think they could have done away with the chairman thing and just gone with a good host/emcee. terrible casting.

I can't stand Flay or Mario. I like Ming...... he looks like a nice guy.

buckytom said:

Hummm ... maybe that didn't come out the way I ment it? I was thinking about my ex-father-in-law and his two brothers - Italian New York cabbies (from Brooklyn) - guess I should have mentioned that? :oops:

Michael in FtW said:
I hate Flay so much I don't care who beats him, as long as they do! He's an embarresment to America, ruder than an Italian New York cabbie (from Brooklyn) who only get's a $20 tip for a $5 fare, nd I wouldn't eat in one of his pepper-palaces if they were the last fast-food joints on the earth.

I always cheer for his challenger.

MinFtW, I find Flay charming and I would love to go to the Mesa Grill. I did not like his first show with the bimbo, but I like both of his later ones.

Can someone tell me what this is all about?

Bucky, as a New Joisey kid, I expect you can lay it on the line.

I agree I can't STAND Fray. Not one of his shows do I like. Mainly because of the "over-the-top" NYness. Plus when he had people come up and "help" him cook he would ALWAYS say they were doing it wrong and stop them. I say "hey I asked for the help and now let the the help do what you asked them to" He's a jerk. Period.

LOVE Ming tho, wish I had seen that battle.

I guess the NY attitude may be tough to swallow,
But I'm sure he busted his butt to get where he is today and I have to admire that. I like his shows, (even the one with the Bimbo). Jackie simply asked questions so that chef Flay would explain what he was doing.
I guess Bobby's a better chef than he is a teacher.
I really like Ming's shows though, the contrasts of tastes and textures of Asian cooking are great.
JOhn.

I don't like Flay much, mainly because the first show of his I saw turned me off. The one where he had a female cohost. Have ever noticed that on those shows, when he calls a good looking girl up to come and help, he's like their second skin. That kinda creeped me out. And at the end of the show when they all gather around to eat, only a "select few" get to sit around the table with him and eat, everyone else has to just watch. I know it's not realistic to have EVEYRONE around the table eating, but it just came off to me as very classist. My friend and I used to always joke that the people at the perimeter of the room was a second class citizen because they dont get to munch on the food, just the leftovers.

That said, I still try some of his recipes on occassion. I won't turn away an interesting recipe, no matter how much I dislike the creator. :)

unfortunately, from what i've heard, bobby flay is a joisey guy :oops: , of well off parents who bought him his first restaurant. to his credit, he has become a very good chef and restauranteur, opening several places that are highly acclaimed. i think he's a graduate of one of the nyc culinary schools as well.

i've heard that he was nerdy and smug in high school, so he has carried some of that over to his shows. it's also probably why some agent sold him on using his looks to try to create an image. also why he tries so hard to surround himself with bimbettes.
i think he made his first big mistake whe he was on iron chef and showed great disrespect to morimoto-san, standing on his cutting board and doing the "raise the roof" thing.
since then he's done nothing to improve his image, but he seems to be on more and more shows. unfortunately, he is on cbs morning and weekend shows a lot. someone must like him.

i have to agree with lugaru who said he is the necessary evil in the pro-wrestling-like show of iron chef america. gotta have a pompass and talented bad guy...

buckytom said:
i have to agree with lugaru who said he is the necessary evil in the pro-wrestling-like show of iron chef america. gotta have a pompass and talented bad guy...

Were just lucky he dosent have an audience to play too (at least not in the "battle of the masters" ones I saw) or else his annoying level would be through the roof like in the Morimoto-san duel.

I agree on how pompous Flay is. But I do have to say when he went up against Rick Bayless he really showed some versatility. I think he's as interesting to watch as bologna on the grill... and he comes across pretty degrading to the small town cooks he encounters on Foodnation...

(I was waiting for one of the Eagles Fans to pummel him during a tailgating show a year or so back - now that would have been enjoyable television).

I've been to Mesa Grill and it was enjoyable but not a place I long to go back to. Slightly overpriced as you would expect in Manhattan... and his food was simple and enjoyable... but pretty slight in portion. (New Mexican Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin - $28 - for maybe a six ounce serving) Think of it as Southwestern Experimental Comfort Food...

I wish they'd put Alton Brown in the mix and see if he could go up against those guys. He's the Mr. Science of food knowledge...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom