Sliced almonds in chicken salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozart

Senior Cook
Can toasted sliced almonds be used in mayo based chicken salad or will they become soggy and limp? I usually use walnuts but don't have them right now.

Thanks.

Almonds are great in chicken salad, I've never had an experience where they went soggy. But if you're unsure you could just add them at the list minute. =)

Secret tip: buy smoked almonds and chop them up roughly to use in place of plain toasted almonds, they add a great extra layer of flavor!

I sauté slivered almonds all the time in green beans and broccoli and they don't go limp. I'm sure they would be fine in chicken salad. So I vote go for it, too.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll put them in each serving just before. The left overs will nutless until they are served. There is so much surface area in sliced almonds that I'd rather be safe than wimpy.

You could also use some macadamia's or pitashio's both should hold up for you and taste wonderful.
kadesma:)

I have a chicken salad recipe that has sliced almonds and I haven't had a problem with them going soggy.

Our Chicken salad at work has slivered, toasted almonds and they never go soggy. The batches they make typically get used withing 24-48 hours. They have a high fat content, and are quite dense, so there's not really room for moisture to soak in and make them soggy.

Back
Top Bottom