What size/shape of cast iron for frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally got my huge range hood/fan so I can fry without stinking up the whole house. What type Lodge pan do I want? dutch oven? deep skillet? what size? Mainly to fry chicken.
Thanks!

I have a very large, deep skillet I love for frying chicken, but you might want to purchase a dutch oven because it could also be used for other purposes.

You'll really like how cast iron works for frying chicken. That's the only way I'll do it anymore.

Thanks! My only fear about the cast iron dutch oven is that it would weigh a ton! I'm sure the skillet will be heavy enough.

It depends on what type of frying you want to do. For shallow frying you can use the fry pan. For deep frying you would need the Dutch oven.

You can shallow fry in a dutch oven too. The advantage of the DO is that the higher sides reduces the amount of splatter on the stove.

Now that is what I call an all in one!:) I'll be looking for one next time I get by the local Lodge distributor.

Craig

You can also buy the regular deep skillet....a separate lid is also available.
Or just about any 10 in lid will fit.

You can deep fry or pan fry...The deep sides help with splatter when pan frying...The helper handle on the newer ones would make lifting easier.

Check it Out

Last edited:
Re GB- shallow fry vs deep fry. I just want good fried chicken. I don't know whether I want deep or shallow fry. What do I want? What is best?

Both make excellent fried chicken. One is not necessarily better than the other. With shallow you only use enough oil to come about halfway up the chicken. Deep frying you need the chicken to be submerged.

I have a 10in Cast Iron Dutch Oven and I don't think it's too heavy. It's not like I store it at the top of my cabinets but it doesn't take much to move it around.

Before I had that I had a high-sided 12in cast iron skillet. It worked great but it really wasn't deep enough. As soon as I would add small amounts of food in it the temperature would drop so rapidly it took far too long to get back to 350.

Thanks! When we were traveling I stopped in a Lodge store in GA or NC and got a cast iron deep skillet- a factory second so it was less expensive. haven't used it yet- probably will tomorrow.

They used to call this a Chicken Fryer with just a regular lid when I bought mine.......Now it seems the lid is also a skillet.....

Look Here

Here is a slightly older version of the chicken fryer. Griswold made the hammered version like this one in the early 40's. The hinge allows the two halves to remain together. The top is easily removable to use as a skillet. The old cast iron is always better than new Lodge IMO

Attachments

• Chck fryer, ext.jpg
    Chck fryer, ext.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Chicken Fryer Int.jpg
    Chicken Fryer Int.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
The santa in the brown suit just brought this one to me. It is waiting for it's turn in the lye bath. I have a Griswold and a Wagner Breakfast skillet. I am turning these into a fajita serving set for the deck. The fryer will hold tortillas, the skillets the mixin's. All that is needed is a couple of wood trivets.

At the weight of the old double skillets, $30 is shipping.

Th

Bigjim68 said:
At the weight of the old double skillets, $30 is shipping.

Didn't think you'd take my offer:LOL:.....I've got some no name stuff that needs the lye bucket...Been sayin that for 6 months...Maybe I'll start one Saturday......

Didn't think you'd take my offer:LOL:.....I've got some no name stuff that needs the lye bucket...Been sayin that for 6 months...Maybe I'll start one Saturday......
A lot of the old no name stuff is pretty good. I don't like new Lodge. I have a skillet marked only SK and 8. I know it was bought at Sears in the 1980's. Light, smooth, and easy to clean. It is the one I use most.

Back
Top Bottom